Teubner studied from 1963 to 1967 at the University of Göttingen and the University of Tübingen. He was a scholar of the Foundation of the German people. In 1970 he earned his doctorate at the University of Tübingen with a thesis on the legal interpretation of general clauses. In 1971 he passed the state exam. From 1972 to 1974 he completed a research stay in the U.S., where he obtained a Master (law and society ) at the University of Berkeley.
In 1977 he completed his habilitation at the University of Tübingen with the subject organization democracy and federation constitution. Right models for policy-relevant associations. In the same year he received a professorship at the University of Bremen.
In 1981, Teubner to Florence at the European University Institute. Here he taught until 1993.
In 1993 Teubner at the London School of Economics and Political Science a named after Otto Kahn-Freund Professor of Comparative Law and Legal Theory.
As a result, Teubner moved in 1998 to the University of Frankfurt to the Department of Law, where he became Professor Emeritus in 2009. He is currently principal investigator of the Frankfurt Cluster of Excellence The Formation of Normative Orders. He also teaches at the International University College of Turin.
Teubner is married and has three children.
Teubner's work has won several awards, including 2000 with the Gay - Lussac- Humboldt Award and in 2007 with a Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Study Berlin. He has received several honorary doctorates and visiting professorships. 1989 Teubner founding member of the Academia Europaea. In 2013, the recording was followed by the British Academy.
- Standards and directives in general clauses: possibilities and limitations of social research in the specification of the good- morals clauses in private law. Zugl. Diss Tübingen, 1970. Studies and literature on the theory and methodology of law, Volume 8, Athenaeum Verlag, Frankfurt 1971.
- Organizational democracy and federation constitution. Right models for policy-relevant associations. Habilitation thesis. Mohr, Tübingen 1978
- Law as an autopoietic system. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1989, ISBN 978-3-518579824
- Network as a composite contract. Virtual Enterprises, Franchising, just- in-time in social scientific and legal point of view. Nomos, Baden -Baden 2004, ISBN 978-3-832904609
- Together with Andreas Fischer- Lescano: Regime - collisions. For the fragmentation of global law. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 2006
- Autopoietic Law. A New Approach to Law and Society. Gruyter, Berlin 1988, ISBN 3-110114593
- According to Jacques Derrida and Niklas Luhmann. On the ( im) possibility of a social theory of justice. Lucius & Lucius, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 3-828204430