Gyeongbokgung [ kjəŋp'okk'uŋ ] is a palace in Seoul. The name means " radiant bliss ." He is the first and largest palace under five palaces that were built during the Korean Joseon Dynasty.
The Gyeongbokgung was built in 1395, three years after the founding of the Joseon Dynasty, completed. With the completion of the capital of the dynasty of Gaegyeong was moved to Hanyang and served in 1592 until its destruction in the Imjin war as the residence of the king. Only in 1868 it was rebuilt in the fifth year of reign of King Gojong.
During the Japanese rule ( 1910-1945 ) were demolished and significantly altered the Bauanlage. Among the buildings that were not demolished, the Gyeonghoeru pavilion and Geunjeongjeon were. During this time, Japanese was the national language and the palace was named after the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese characters used for the name Keifukukyū (景福 宫).
It was only from 1990 onwards they began to reconstruct the palace in its original form. This required also the residence of the Governor General, the government building from the time when Korea was a province of Japan, to be demolished. Only then can the Heungryemun could be faithfully reconstructed. The royal apartments and the residence of the Crown Prince have also been faithfully restored. The plans of the first phase will provide to have around 40 % of the original structure restored by 2010.
[ kɨnʝəŋʝən ] ( 근정전 ,勤政殿) The building, with its atrium served mainly as the enthronement ceremonies or receiving important guests.
[ kjəŋhøru ] ( 경회루 ,庆 会 楼)
The one-story building was built on a small artificial island which is surrounded by a pond was also created artificially. On the island you sit over by a bridge. Mainly the building served and the pond to the feast.
- Gangnyeongjeon ( 강녕전 ,康宁 殿)
- Jagyeongjeon ( 자경전 ,慈 庆 殿)
- Hyangwonjeong ( 향원정 ,香 远 亭)
- Donggung ( 동궁 ,东宫)