The district hall was established in 1952 after the dissolution of states within the country as one of 14 districts in the southern part of Saxony- Anhalt.
Economics and Geography
Hall was designed as a " chemical workers district ". Was coined Economically, the district
- Of large chemical plants in Leuna, Schkopau (Buna -Werke ), Bitterfeld / Wolfen
- From the Central German lignite mining area for energy production in the Geisel and Bitterfeld mining area.
- Of the Kupfererzförderung in the Mansfeld region and around Sangerhausen
And other industries, such as food and consumer goods production.
The district included the city hall circles, Dessau and Halle- Neustadt (from May 12, 1967) and the following counties:
The Council of the District as a middle level state administration had its headquarters in Halle, this included, inter alia, the District Planning Commission.
With the re- establishment of the countries on the territory of the GDR in 1990, the districts were dissolved. The district hall was without the circle Artern associated with the state of Saxony- Anhalt. The circle Artern was incorporated in the State of Thuringia; the urban districts of Halle- Neustadt and Hall were united on May 6, 1990.
Government and party leaders
Chairman of the Council of the District
First Secretary of the SED district leadership
Coat of arms
By sealing order of the GDR from May 28, 1953 lost all its importance as a regional emblem mark or seal. However, the coat of arms of cities and counties were still used on buildings, or in publications without meeting an official function. The coat of arms used in some books of the district hall shows in fact the emblem of the city of Halle ( Saale). Officially was the seal coat of arms of the GDR. Only by the municipal constitution of the GDR of 17 May 1990 municipalities and counties were able for the first time explicitly lead coat of arms and use it as a seal.