Hamilton is a town of about 9,400 inhabitants in the Australian state of Victoria. Hamilton is located 260 kilometers west of Melbourne and is the seat of the administrative area ( LGA) Shire of Southern Grampians. It is located at the junction of the Glenelg Highway and the Henty Highway. The Hamilton Highway connects the city to Geelong.
Due to its long history and the close connection with the shaft breeding Hamilton is also ( German: wool capital ) Wool Capital of the World called.
The City of Hamilton was formed on the border of three traditional tribal areas of the Aborigines: the field of Gunditjmara, which extends south to the coast, the area of Tjapwurong in a northeasterly direction and the field of Bunganditj west. Because of its fertile soil and plenty of water, much of the indigenous people was settled. Even today, to see the remains of dams and fish traps, such as in Lake Condah south of Hamilton.
On September 12, 1836 came with the explorer Thomas Mitchell was the first European in the area. His reports of fertility and abundance, he called the Western Victoria Australia Felix, meant that ranchers moved with their herds of sheep in this area. Just three years later, in 1839, also the part of present-day Hamilton was settled. Its owners, the Wegde family, called the land of The Grange.
The near The Grange leads to other land and to the important transport link between Portland and New South Wales soon to the fact that a hotel, a blacksmith and small shops settled. A post office was opened on 1 July 1844. Hamilton was declared in 1851 to the city.