Hammersmith is a district of London. He is part of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, situated on the north bank of the Thames, about eight kilometers west of Charing Cross. In the north, bordering the district of Shepherd's Bush, in the east of Kensington, Fulham to the south and to the west by Chiswick.
Hammersmith is a major transportation hub in West London, where the main arterial road A4 crosses (also known as Great West Road known) with several other main roads. The crossing point is designed in the form of a roundabout with almost 200 meters in diameter. In its center, the bus station and the Hammersmith station of the London Underground ( Piccadilly and District lines ). The terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line and the Circle Line can be found on the northwest corner of the roundabout. The nearby Hammersmith Bridge crosses the River Thames.
Economy and culture
Economic center of the district is the Broadway Centre, a shopping center in the middle of the roundabout. Another shopping center, the King's Mall, located a little further west on King Street. This street is also lined with a length of more than half a kilometer on both sides by shops. The area east of the traffic circle is marked by several office towers that are headquarters of several international companies. Hammersmith is also known as a cultural center. The Hammersmith Apollo (former name: Hammersmith Odeon ) is a prestigious event and concert hall. Also on King Street is the Posk, the center of the Polish community in London.
- Edmonia Lewis ( † 1907 in Hammersmith ), U.S. African- American sculptor
- David Barclay ( born 1934 ), entrepreneur and publisher
- Frederick Barclay ( born 1934 ), entrepreneur and publisher
- Roger Daltrey ( born 1944 ), musician
- Alan Rickman ( born 1946 ), actor
- Gary Numan (born 1958 ), musician
- James May (* 1963), journalist and presenter
- Sacha Baron Cohen (born 1971 ), comedian and actor
- Tom Hardy ( born 1977 ), actor
- Example ( b. 1982 ), rapper and musician
- Lily Allen ( born 1985 ), singer
- Benedict Cumberbatch (born 1976 ), actor