Hans -Joachim Veen was born in 1944 in the Alsatian town of Strasbourg. After graduation in 1964 at a scientific school in Bremen, he was serving as a reserve officer candidate his military service in the armored reconnaissance battalion 3 in Luneburg. As a reserve officer, he reached the rank of colonel in the reserve. He served inter alia as commander of the tank battalion 524 ( teilgekadert ) in Lingen. His last military exercises he graduated as Chief of Staff of the German Armed Forces Command United States and Canada in Reston / Virginia.
From 1966 to 1971 he studied political science, public law and history at the University of Hamburg and the Albert- Ludwigs- University of Freiburg to master. From 1975 to 1976 he was a research assistant at the chair of Wilhelm Hennis at the University of Freiburg, where he in 1976 with the dissertation opposition in the Bundestag. Their functions, institutional conditions for action under the conduct of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group in the 6th legislature from 1969 to 1972 Dr. phil. received his doctorate.
He worked for many years as deputy director ( since 1976 ), and finally director ( 1983-1999 ) of the Social Science Research Institute of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation and made a name for himself as an electoral party and researchers in scientific policy advice. From 2000, he headed the Foundation, the project "Democracy and party development in Eastern Europe". With this project, he paved the way for the systematic promotion party of the Konrad -Adenauer -Stiftung in young democracies and is actively working in this field today. From 1994 to 1995 he was Chair Representative for Comparative Politics at the University of Trier, currently honorary professor.
Since 2002, Veen is Chairman of the Board of Etter Mountain Foundation in Weimar. The Foundation is dedicated since its 2012 expansion of the European dictatorship research and the Reappraisal of the SED dictatorship, moreover, it operates the memorial and educational center Andrew Street, a former detention center of the Ministry of State Security, at the Cathedral Square in Erfurt. From 2007 to 2009 he was chairman of the Thuringian state advisory violence prevention. From 2009 to 2012 Veen moderated the history composite Thuringia. Association for the Study of the SED dictatorship. Since 2008 he is member of the Scientific Advisory Board at the Federal Commissioner for the Records of the State Security Service of the former GDR; Since 2008, its chairman.
Writings (selection )
- Opposition in the Bundestag. Their functions, institutional conditions for action and behavior of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group in the 6th legislature from 1969 to 1972. Bonn 1976 ( = Report of the Federal Centre for Political Education, Vol 113)
- Party state and Members freedom. For discussion of the imperative mandate. Munich 1976
- With Walter Jaiden: balance of youth research. Results of empirical analyzes in the Federal Republic of Germany from 1975 to 1987. Paderborn 1989
- Ed. Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann: Voter behavior in transition. Determinants, social trends, research on application of the general election in 1987. Paderborn 1991
- Ed: . Christian- democratic and conservative parties in Western Europe ( 5 volumes). Paderborn 1983-2000
- Jürgen Hoffmann: The Greens at the beginning of the nineties. Profile and shortcomings of an almost established party. Bonn 1992
- Et al.: A Youth in Germany? Orientations and behaviors of youth in East and West. opladen 1994
- Ed. et al: . opposition and resistance in the SED dictatorship. Berlin ( Propylaea ) 2000
- Ed: . According to the dictatorship. Democratic upheavals in Europe - 12 years later. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2003
- Ed: ., the cut off revolution. June 17, 1953 in German history. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2004
- Ed: . Old elites in new democracies? Change, change and continuity in Central and Eastern Europe. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2004
- The development of party systems in post-communist EU member states - a comparative analysis of their achievements and shortcomings. In: KAS Auslandsinformationen, 7/2005
- Ed. by Peter in March: What to remember? Communism in the German cultural memory. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2006
- Ed. with Ulrich Mählert, Peter March: Interactions between East and West. Dissidence, opposition and civil society from 1975 to 1989. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2007
- Karsten Grabow, Wilhelm Hofmeister: party cooperation and party promoting the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. Guidelines for international cooperation. Cologne 2008
- Ed. with Ulrich Mählert, Franz -Josef Schlichting parties in young democracies. Between fragility and stabilization in Eastern Central Europe. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2008
- Ed. Peter March, Franz -Josef Schlichting: Church and Revolution.Das Christianity in East Central Europe before and after 1989 Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2009.
- Ed. Hendrik Hansen: Refurbishment of totalitarian experience and political culture, the importance of working up the SED injustice for the law and understanding of values in the reunified Germany. Political Thought Yearbook 2009. Berlin 2009
- Ed. Peter March, Franz -Josef Schlichting: " The consequences of the Revolution, 20 years after communism. " Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2010
- Ed. with people Hard Knigge, Ulrich Mählert, Franz -Josef Schlichting ". working on European memory experience of dictatorship and democracy development " Cologne / Weimar / Wien 2011
- Ed: . " Interim Statement of Thuringia and his neighbors after 20 years. " Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2012