The Harrow School is one of the most famous English public schools for boys and is also known as " Harrow ". A school can be demonstrated on the area of today's school since 1243, but the present school dates back to John Lyon, who founded the school in 1572 on the basis of a Royal Charter of Queen Elizabeth I. The school is one of nine schools that are mentioned in the Public School Act of 1868. The school now has about 800 students and is located in the north -west of London.
The foundation of the school in February 1572. John Lyon, a wealthy local farmer, bequeathed by his death in 1592 the smaller portion of its assets, he determined the larger part for the maintenance of a road in the then 16 km from London. The school reminded of this part of the legacy by running along the route in November, which is called 'Long Ducker '. After the death of Mrs. Lyons in 1608 the school was started with the construction of the first building, which was completed in 1615.
The school has no uniform closed school grounds, but is integrated into the infrastructure of Harrow Hill area. The school has about 160 ha area with playing fields, tennis courts, golf course, forest and garden land. The school also has its own operational farm.
The Old Speech Room Gallery & Museum is located in the building of the Old Speech Room, should be practiced in the public speeches. Since 1976, it houses a public museum showing the school collection with Egyptian and Greek works of art, English watercolors, Modern British paintings, books and natural history art.
The pupils of Harrow are divided into 12 boarding residential buildings. Each house has its own traditions and fights in sports competitions and other activities on the other houses. Each house is headed by a House Master, he is referred to by House Tutor staff support in all matters which concern the welfare of the students. Each house has a Matron called nurse.
The students live between three and six half years in a double room with a same age students; the students relate then singles.
In 2010, the school fees amounted to 29 670, - ₤ ( about 36,000 € ).
In Harrow Squash was invented based on the older sport rackets around 1830.
The school was one of seven schools that met in 1863 to determine the Cambridge Rules football rules above. The Cambridge Rules were one of the foundations by which the Football Association aufstellte their rules.
Since 1805 a cricket match between Harrow and Eton College at Lord 's Cricket Ground is held annually. The meeting considered the oldest in the Lord's match discharged and the oldest still discharged regular cricket encounter.
Songs play in school life an important role, since they belong to all major ceremonies and also to strengthen the cohesion of the students. Famous is a native of the 1872 school song Forty Years on:
The text wrote Edward Ernest Bowen, an advanced for its time principals, the melody was composed by the music teacher John Farmer ( 1835-1901 ).
The school has a large number of famous alumni, see Old Harrovians.