Harry South became known for his activities in the British jazz scene of the 1950s, when he played with Jimmy Deuchar, Joe Harriott, Dizzy Reece, Tony Crombie and Tubby Hayes. In 1954, he belonged to the Tony Crombie Orchestra, then played in Ashley Kozak Quartet and was four years a member of Dick Morrissey Quartet, where he was also active as a composer and arranger. In 1966 he formed his own big band, played in the musicians like Tubby Hayes, Dick Morrissey, Phil Seamen, Keith Christie, Ronnie Scott and Ian Carr; with her he recorded an album for Mercury Records.
Mid-1960s, he worked with the rhythm and blues singer and organist Georgie Fame, with the album Sound Venture was formed. During this time he also worked as a composer and arranger for Humphrey Lyttelton, Buddy Rich, Sarah Vaughan and Jimmy Witherspoon and worked as musical director for Annie Ross.
In the 1970s he worked as a session musician and writing music for film and television productions, such as the theme song for The Sweeney, As an arranger, he also worked for Emerson, Lake and Palmer Album Works Vol 1 (1977). In 1981, he worked as an arranger to Annie Ross and Georgie Fame's cooperation with Hoagy Carmichael with (in Hoagland ).
In his honor, took the National Youth Jazz Orchestra 2001, the album Portraits - The Music Of Harry South on.
Disco Graphical Notes
- Tony Crombie And His Orchestra ( Decca, 1954)
- Tubby Hayes: The Swinging Giant, Vols. 1 6 2 ( Jasmine, 1955-57 )
- Dizzy Reece: A New Star ( Jasmine, 1955)
- Jimmy Deuchar: Pal Jimmy! ( Jasmine, in 1957/58 )
- Dick Morrissey Quartet: Have You Heard? (1963)
- Dick Morrissey Quartet: There and Back (1964/1965)
- Dick Morrissey Quartet: Storm Warning! - (1965)
- Presenting the Harry South Big Band - Harry South Big Band - ( Mercury, 1966)
- Dick Morrissey Quartet: Here and Now and Sounding Good! - (1966)
- Georgie Fame and The Harry South Big Band Album: Sound Venture ( 1966)
- Hoagy Carmichael / Georgie Fame / Annie Ross: In Hoagland (1981 )
- Jazz Pianist
- Composer (Jazz)
- Film composer
- British Musician
- Born in 1929
- Died in 1990