- Hannover 96
- Football World Cup 1974 ( 4 games)
- European Football Championship 1988 (2 games)
- Football World Cup 2006 (5 games)
- DFB Cup finals in 1962, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1979
- DFB - Supercup 1992
The HDI Arena (1954-2002 and 2002-2013 Niedersachsenstadion AWD-Arena ) is a football stadium with 49,000 covered spectator seats in Hanover. It is located in the Sportpark Hannover in Calenberger Neustadt near the Maschsee. The stadium was built in 1954 as Niedersachsenstadion originally for around 86,000 spectators and has since been rebuilt several times during implementation of various major soccer events.
- 4.1 Football World Cup 1974
- 4.2 European Football Championship 1988
- 4.3 Football World Cup 2006
- 4.4 German national
Construction on rubble
The Niedersachsenstadion was planned in the early 1950s by the architects Heinz Goes man and Richard Konwiarz under Stadtbaurat Rudolf Hille Brecht. During the construction of the stadium 1952-1954 rubble for creating a huge Walls was used, where the courts of the then dominant West Stand was built. The debris came from Hanover buildings that had been destroyed by the air raids on Hanover in the Second World War. The construction costs amounted to four million DM In 1962 Eduard Bargheer created in August Wagner workshops in Berlin a large glass mosaic on sport, which stands at the south entrance of the stadium today. Until 2003, it was located on the outer wall of a now-demolished gymnasium next to the East Stand.
The first football team Hannover 96, who had previously played in Eilenriedestadion, wore from 1959 regularly from their home games at Niedersachsenstadion. Clubs also SV Arminia Hannover, OSV Hannover, TSV Havelse and Sportfreunde Rickingen who had in the meantime made ascents in the second and third football game classes, contributed numerous games from the Niedersachsen Stadion.
Until the 2003 renovation 29 football matches, four finals of the German Championship, nine DFB Cup finals, two DFB - Supercup finals and a game in the Europa Cup Winners' Cup took place in the stadium.
Conversions from 1974 to 2000
Football World Cup 1974, a reconstruction of the stadium took place. The number of seats was increased to 38,000 by the upper tier of the West Stand was converted from standing tickets to seats, resulting in a reduction of the total capacity to 60,400 spectators result. In addition, the upper part of the west stand was roofed. The conversion costs amounted to 26 million German marks.
For European Football Championship in 1988 made more, but smaller conversions.
Around 1994, the conversion of wooden benches on single folding seats on the East Stand and the conversion of 8,000 standing places in the G- Block of South Bend on individual bucket seats to a reduction in capacity to 56,000 seats.
In 1997 there were plans for a private investor to build a 40,000 -seat Superdome, which eventually failed.
In 1998, the city of Hanover, the decision was taken to a total renovation that should be implemented for 68 million German marks in two phases. The stadium should be maintained athletic facilities and renovated country game fair.
However, the available public funds of Lower Saxony, city and municipal federation Hanover totaling over 42 million German marks were not sufficient for the realization and a private investor, who should close the coverage gap was not found. The realization of the second phase, which provided for the demolition and construction of the new East Stand zweirangigen and finally the canopy of 80 percent of the stadium seats was so receded into the distance.
The first phase resulted after completion in May 2000 to a capacity of about 50,000 seats and cost 13.5 million German marks. The conversion of wooden benches on individual bucket seats and the broadening of the circulation behind the lower tier West, were set up on the new wheelchair seats were next to a safety-related reduction of approved standing room capacity in the same equal standing room blocks, the reason for the decline of 6000 places.
By 2003, the stadium had high, to toothbrushes reminiscent floodlights, track and field equipment including career and about 60% uncovered parking. The massive - dominant West Stand with a wide -spanning roof, a relatively small main stand with a corrugated roof, from two independent large floor space blocks (one in 1994 was converted to seat) and the distinctive floodlights awarded the stadium a distinctive character.
Arena Tag 2003/2004
Due to the surprising Winner of World Cup 2006 Germany an integrated canopy was necessary to come as the host of World Cup games in question. Costs are increased to about 85 million German marks. Then Hannover 96 could enforce its vision of a pure football stadium. So it was in 2003 /04 Arena Conversion.
The conversions for the football World Cup, the stadium was torn down to about 70 %, including an 1999/2000 renovated areas, and then converted to a pure football arena. Remained standing, only the huge wall with almost 20,000 seats the West Stand, which was now completely wooded 50 -year-old trees on its back. The roof and about a quarter of the seats at the outer edges of the West Stand were demolished as the North, South and East Stand. The conversion cost 65 million euros.
The lawn, under a powerful drainage system and underfloor heating were installed, was moved to the zoom distance of the track and field equipment directly to the west stand and built the rest of the grandstands it.
The new roof is the real novelty of the stadium. The roof is divided into two areas: the outer ring, which is covered with a trapezoidal sheet and the inner ring, which is covered with an ETFE foil. This film can be over 90% of UVA and UVB light by. An exchange of the playing field, as it occurs for example in Dortmund's Signal Iduna Park or at the Hamburg Imtech Arena several times per season, as the grass is not adequately supplied there by the high stands and ceiling constructions with natural light, is in the stadium rarely required.
Instead of the scoreboard, the stadium got two modern video boards and instead of the floodlight pylons, popularly known as " toothbrushes ", 160 modern single headlights, which were integrated into the roof structure and provide an illuminance of 1500 lux.
Architecturally, the stadium of other stadium newbuildings differs mainly by its asymmetry. As the old West Stand was preserved with its low inclination angles and the new East Stand was to be built as steep as possible, the Located behind had to be designed so that the slope increases gradually from west to east.
The new business and box area is located as well as the press area in the East Stand of the stadium. There are about 1250 business seats, 29 VIP boxes for ten to twelve people and 96 press seats. With the start of the 2007/2008 season, another VIP area was named " Club 96" opened on the top floor of the East Stand. Also since this time there is the " Stammtisch ", a two-storey VIP tent, which was built thanks to the efforts of sports rights marketer Five. Directly under the roof of the West Stand there since the rebuild new lodges at the point at which previously had found the press booths.
This converted to a pure football arena stadium after the winter break ( Season 2004/ 2005) on 23 January 2005 with the match Hannover 96 at the first soccer Bundesliga Highlights - Dedicated to Bayer 04 Leverkusen (0:3). The stadium now has around 49,000 spectators. Of these, approximately 8000 seats standing room that can be converted to international matches in 4000 seats. In addition, 29 boxes and 1241 so-called business seats. Also the electronic intake and payment system was introduced after the conversion. The entire dining Catering is cash since then.
For the duration of the World Cup 2006, all standing room were converted into seats. The capacity of the stadium was reduced to 43,000 seats for these games.
In 2002 Hannover 96 rented the naming rights to the stadium for five years to the financial services AWD. 2007, the agreement was extended for another five years until June 2012. In January 2012, the AWD Group announced that it prolongs the ongoing contract for the hire of the stadium name for a year until summer 2013. The stadium was thus until June 2013 AWD - Arena. On February 13, 2013, the Swiss insurance company Swiss Life announced as the successor to the AWD that the expiring contract is not extended to the use of the name rights. Swiss Life has the AWD brand abandoned in 2013.
On April 19, 2013, the Hannover 96 and HDI Group announced that the stadium will be called from July 2013 for the next seven years HDI arena.
During the 2006 World Cup, the stadium was called FIFA World Cup Stadium Hanover.
In the 1970s and until the early 1980s was the so-called M Lindener curve, in which was the fan block, in the former seat block in the southwestern area in the upper tier of the West Stand. This corresponds approximately to the newly built guest admission area today. The fans in the fan block were called in their entirety after the name of the then largest fan clubs ' Red Wolves '. Early 1980s was the fan block for economic reasons and for safety reasons on the opposite side in a small standing area in the northernmost end of the Upper West Ranges routed behind the gate, bearing the name H31. In the late 1990s, the Fan area began on the adjacent seat Block I32 expand. Today's Fan area of the home team Hannover 96 is the entire north curve with seats in the Upper and standing areas in the lower tier.
The German national team of the men wore so far from 22 matches in the stadium.
Football World Cup 1974
There were two games of the preliminary round Group 3 and the intermediate round Group A:
European Football Championship 1988
During the European Football Championship in 1988, there was in each case a preliminary match of Group 1 and 2
Football World Cup 2006
At the 2006 World Cup four preliminary round matches and one second round were played.
Since 1954, there have been these encounters:
The stadium was the site of several German Athletics Championships, the German Gymnastics Festival, from international matches and finals in the German field handball, rugby and American football. Before handing over to an operating company, it was also used for charitable purposes, eg for the Protestant Church in 1983 and textbook flea markets. The now- demolished gymnasium at the East Stand was among other things school sport. It was here earlier after football games, the press conferences. The Jehovah's Witnesses used the stadium in 24 years for each multi-day conferences with a total of 77 days of the congress: 1960 and 1979-1993 and annually between 1995 and 2007 eight more times.
Since the performances of the Rolling Stones in 1982, the stadium was a popular venue for rock and pop music performers because of the wide overhanging West Stand. It became one of the most important open-air concert venues in Northern Germany. For the reconstruction phase to the arena a temporary open-air arena for 60,000 spectators at the EXPO site was built. 2006, the open-air tradition in the new arena was again continued with a concert by the Rolling Stones. On 22 August 2006 Madonna played before 40,000 fans in their Confessions Tour. In the following years, musicians and groups such as Coldplay, U2, Herbert Grönemeyer and others appeared in the stadium.