Hemsbach is a city with about 12,200 inhabitants in the Rhein- Neckar district in the metropolitan Rhine-Neckar region in the north- west of Baden -Württemberg.
- 2.1 religions
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Mayor
- 3.3 Coat of Arms
- 3.4 Twin towns
- 4.1 Museums
- 4.2 Structures
- 4.3 Leisure
- 5.1 traffic
- 5.2 Education
- 6.1 Known Hemsbacher
- 6.2 Persons who are in connection with the city
Location and natural space
The district Hemsbachs extends 85-340 meters above sea level on the mountain road, ie in the transition region between the Odenwald and the Upper Rhine Plain, on the same stream, which is verdolt since 1951.
The municipality is bordered to the north by Laudenbach, to the east by the Hessian places Heppenheim, Morlenbach and Birkenau, in the south of the town of Weinheim and to the west by the turn belonging to Hesse Four, Lampertheim and Lorsch.
The Hemsbacher district has a strong east-west extension and extends over 1286 hectares. Of these, 25.7 per cent of settlement and traffic area, 48.5 percent is used for agriculture and 22.8 percent are forested.
To town Hemsbach the hamlet Balzenbach and Weschnitz settlement, the place on Mill Lane ( Jewish cemetery ), and the castle courtyards Schafhofstraße include ( Waldnerhof ) and Watzenhof.
The boundaries of the district Hemmingisbach were described in 795 in the Lorsch Codex was first documented as the site of the Abbey of Lorsch belonged.
After the dissolution of the Imperial Abbey in 1232 the village was a century long bone of contention between the Palatinate and the archbishops of Mainz, to the Palatinate in 1344 the villages Hemsbach, Laudenbach and Sulzbach was awarded by an arbitration award. In the division of lands, 1410, the place Pfalz- Mosbach was assigned. Duke Otto von Mosbach pledged a majority of the rights in 1449 to the bishopric of Worms. The customs rights, however, fell after the extinction of the line of Pfalz- Mosbach 1499 back to the Palatinate, which also claimed the country's sovereignty. The issue remained a mystery until a part of an exchange agreement with the Bishop of Worms Hemsbach 1705 finally fell to the Electoral Palatinate.
In the resolution of the Palatinate came Hemsbach 1803 Baden, where he was affiliated with the Office Weinheim. On the night of May 1, 1811 a stagecoach with two Swiss businessmen from Hölzerlips and his companions was attacked on the mountain road just before Hemsbach. 1812, located on Hemsbacher district in the south of Sulzbach settlement was separated and independent.
During the " Badische Revolution" met Hessian troops and insurgents Baden 1849 at Hemsbach one another and provided heavy fighting. A cannonball in the outer wall of the station building Hemsbacher recalls today.
Politically, the National Liberals were dominant since the unification in 1871 until they were ousted in 1907 by the Social Democrats, which usually featured the largest party during the Weimar Republic. At the general election in 1933, the Nazi Party won 30 percent and the Communist Party 21 percent of the vote.
Due to the persecution of Jews in the Nazi era came from 1933 living in Hemsbach 54 Jewish inhabitants until 1945 at least 15 people lost their lives.
With the dissolution of the district of Mannheim in the context of local government reform of 1973, the community came to the new Rhein -Neckar-Kreis. 1979, the municipality Hemsbach was awarded the designation of the city. In 1983, the district Hemsbacher Rennhof changed the state: he was affiliated with Hüttenfeld, part of the Hessian Lampert home.
During the Reformation, the Reformation was introduced in Hemsbach as in the entire Palatinate. 1653, the Catholic confession was admitted again and used the then only church in the city of Saint Lawrence of two faith communities as interdenominational church. The Simultaneum was abolished in the Palatinate soon, but insisted, however, in Hemsbach, until 1936, a new Protestant church was consecrated.
Since the 17th century families of Jewish faith are demonstrated. They had finally since 1845 with its own synagogue ritual bath ( mikveh ) and a cemetery, which was used as a cemetery association. From 1836 to 1872 there was a Jewish elementary school. In the November 1938 pogrom Foreign SA men brought on 10 November 1938 in the synagogue having a bomb explode, resulting in considerable destruction was done. An arson of the building was prevented by neighbors who feared the spread of flames to other buildings. Then, prayer books, ritual objects and furnishings were thrown into the yard and burned there. Today it serves as a non-denominational meeting and memorial. The Caesar -Oppenheimer place reminds his name to a Jewish 91- year old man, who died in 1940 of complications from deportation to the camp Camp de Gurs.
In Hemsbach an Evangelical Free Church Church exists ( Baptists ), the Evangelical Bonhoeffer community center, the Evangelical Luther Church, the Catholic parish of St. Lawrence, as well as an Apostolic church.
The council includes in addition to the presiding mayor to 22 members. In the 2009 election, there were the following result:
The mayor is elected every eight years straight. In the 2011 election, the nonpartisan Juergen Kirchner prevailed. He was supported by the SPD, the voters Community Pro Hemsbach and the green - Colorful - list and took office in 2012.
Coat of arms
The blazon of the arms is: Argent, a black shoulder yoke, accompanied the top and bottom of one red rose with green sepals. It goes back to a court seal from the year 1490th That Hemsbach already comparatively early led a seal, was due to its function as a customs office on the mountain road. The tincture of the crest was set in 1910 by the State Archive. The yoke is the old stain mark Hemsbachs. The meaning of roses is not clear, probably it was earlier but just an ornament.
Hemsbach maintains since 1972 partnerships with Bray- sur -Seine in the department of Seine- et- Marne in France since 1986 to Wareham west of Bournemouth in the UK and since 1990 Mücheln in the Saale district, in Saxony -Anhalt.
Culture and sights
In the former synagogue is now a museum housed on the history of Jews in Hemsbach.
1837 was acquired by Count Waldner Freundstein the sheep farm and built the four knights tower. The name comes from the fact that four knights statues are at the top corners of the tower to find with severed heads.
The St. Lawrence's church was built in the mid 18th century and 1808 extended by two axes. The baroque stucco building is provided with corner pilasters. The church tower with a bulbous dome stands on the west side at the junction of the polygonal choir to the nave. There is a round-arched niche with St. on the south facade. Lawrence. The trapezoidal gable ends with a roof turret.
The old town hall dates from 1698, its ground floor hall already from 1618. Upstairs was rebuilt after a fire in 1852. The open plan ground floor hall of the two-story plaster building opens to the street with three arches. On the pediment rests a roof turret and on the southwest corner is a square tower cultivation.
The central building of the new castle goes back to a villa, built the Palatine Jagdrat Blesen 1764. 1839 acquired Karl Mayer von Rothschild, the building and let it expand. 1925 purchased by the City, the property and uses it since then as a city hall.
The cinema nettle has received numerous awards for its outstanding annual film program. The recreation is the 20 -acre grounds of the swimming pool Wiesensee. Numerous clubs and sports facilities round off the leisure activities.
The Hemsbacher Kerwe is known far beyond the community beyond. The church fete takes place every year on the first Sunday in August and is widely known for its ostrich farms. She moves to the Weinheimer to most visitors, including those from the wider area.
The Wine and Flower Festival (late April / early May with Dance into May ) is owed to the importance Hemsbachs as a wine and location for tourism on the mountain road.
The sports offer the Hemsbacher clubs is versatile. The TC 1965 is the largest tennis club with ten seats. One of the biggest clubs in the city is the TV Hemsbach. Particularly successful are the Penguin Tappers, participating in international championships quilting.
The urban youth center Hemsbach " JuZ " offers young people the opportunity to spend their leisure time there, according to their wishes. With its inception in 1973 at the initiative of youth and students, the youth center Hemsbach one of the oldest of its kind is The Youth Centre organizes every year the Hemsbacher holiday games, a twelve -day supply for 125 children with trips and a four-day camp.
Economy and infrastructure
Hemsbach has always been good transport connections to the region. At the Federal Highway 5 (Frankfurt- Karlsruhe), which runs through the district, the city has its own connection point. The Federal Highway 3 ( Darmstadt- Heidelberg), in the area of mountain road since Roman times an important route passes through the town.
Also through the city runs the Main-Neckar -Bahn Frankfurt -Heidelberg. Regional trains stop here and create the connection to the centers of Mannheim, Heidelberg, Darmstadt and Frankfurt. Bus routes by Laudenbach and Weinheim. Hemsbach belongs to the tariff zone of the transport association Rhein- Neckar.
The nearest airports are Frankfurt Airport Mannheim (20 km) and the Frankfurt am Main Airport ( 65 km).
A circular road connecting KVS / K 4229, which branches in Weinheim of the B 38 via Sulzbach, Hemsbach and Laudenbach, south of Heppenheim meets the B 3, is scheduled to open soon. The northern section is passable and south Laudenbach is already connected. Alfred Moss of the Citizens' Initiative for the KVS admitted that the new road splits the citizenship of the city Hemsbach. The grouping "Pro Hemsbach " has tried in vain to prevent the project. Even the CDU and SPD are - as the citizenry as a whole - split in the city. Engineering Office Habermehl and Follmann ( Rodgau ) presented in Heppenheim construction, environmental and urban development committee (BUS) options for a further connection to the A 5 Traffic forecasts for 2025: for Laudenbach / Hemsbach equates to a concentration of traffic on the K4229 and a Plus 950-2300 cars daily, but also a relief from B3 and L3110.
In Hemsbach there are three primary schools ( Goethe School, Uhlandschule and levers school), high school ( Schiller School ) with Werkrealschule, a secondary school ( Carl Engler -Realschule ) and the mountain roads Gymnasium. The junior high school and high school are combined in one building. The main school is also in close proximity to the building. Is supported the education center, which contains all three schools from the three neighboring municipalities Hemsbach, Laudenbach and wine home -Sulzbach. For the youngest inhabitants consist of five kindergartens. The folk high school Badische mountain road has a branch in Hemsbach. The Catholic church operates a public library.
- Alwin Renker (1931-2013), Catholic priest, educator and professor of Old Testament religion
- Hans Helwig (1881-1952), member of the Reichstag of the NSDAP, SS brigade leader and commander of the concentration camp Ankenbuck, Lichtenburg and Sachsenhausen
Those associated with the city
- David Pareus (1548-1622), Reformed theologian, held from 1573 to 1577 the pastorate in Hemsbach
- Reinhard Wolf (1589-1637), pastor in Hemsbach in 1613, stopped in 1613, the funeral speech for the Laudenbacher priest Anton Praetorius
- Hölzerlips (1770-1812) has 1811 led to the road before Hemsbach the raid on a stagecoach
- Carl Mayer von Rothschild (1788-1855), since 1839 honorary citizen of Hemsbach