Herbert L. Anderson
Anderson studied at Columbia University ( bachelor's degree in 1931 in electrical engineering in 1935 ), where he received his doctorate in 1940 at John Ray Dunning ( 1907-1975 ). During this time he was much involved in the construction of a cyclotron under the direction of Dunnington. He also built other laboratory equipment such as ionization chambers and amplifiers. In January 1939 he was a member of the first team in the U.S., at Columbia University, the experiments by Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann, nuclear fission, which became known recently through lectures by Niels Bohr in Princeton repeated. Under Fermi, he continued to experiment for the investigation of nuclear fission and was also one of its most important assistants ( with Walter Henry Zinn ) in the construction of the first nuclear reactor in Chicago in 1942. Anderson then directed the construction of the CP -2 reactor at Argonne National Laboratory and has been a consultant for DuPont in the construction of breeder reactors at Hanford.
After the war he went with Fermi at the University of Chicago, where he was an assistant professor in 1946, associate professor in 1947 and professor from 1950 ( 1977 Distinguished Service Professor ). 1958 to 1962 he was director of the Enrico Fermi Institute. After he had in the meantime always worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory, he joined the laboratory in 1978 and remained there until his death, most recently as Senior Fellow.
He died of a beryllium contamination of the lungs ( berylliosis ), which he drew upon forty years previously in experiments in Fermi's lab ..
1955 to 1957 he was a Guggenheim Fellow and 1956/57, as a Fulbright Lecturer in Italy. In 1982 he received the Enrico Fermi Award. He was a member of the National Academy of Sciences (1960 ) and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1978).
- Physicist ( 20th century)
- Nuclear physicist
- University teachers ( University of Chicago)
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States
- Born in 1914
- Died in 1988