Life and work
Hermann Jansen was the son of the deceased in 1871 confectioner Franz Xavier Jansen and his wife Maria Anna Catharina born Arnoldi. After visiting the humanistic Kaiser -Karls -Gymnasium in Aachen Jansen studied architecture at the Rheinisch -Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen with Karl Henrici. After graduating in 1893, Jansen worked in an architectural office in Aachen.
1897 Jansen moved to Berlin, where he joined the City Council of the City of Berlin under Louis Hoffmann, in 1899 with the architect William Mueller set up his practice after a short activity. In the same year he made the designs for the Pelzer tower was later called in his home town of Aachen. In 1903 he took over the publication of the architecture magazine " The Builder" (born between 1903-1916 ), which was published in 1902 in Munich.
In 1908, the former city of Berlin wrote (later the municipality center) and the surrounding, at that time still independent cities and towns of the policies in Germany and beyond competition to a basic plan for the development of Greater Berlin to proposals for the further development Berlin to catch a 10 - million metropolis. On March 19, 1910, the jury awarded two first prizes at Josef Herman Brix and Jansen. His urban design with the motto, within the limits of possibility contained proposals for the settlement of the residents, the creation of transport links by crossing-free major roads and related green spaces instead of the usual decorative squares. Jansen's plans were partially implemented and can still be found to some extent in the cityscape. In Berlin -Dahlem led his plans to the local mix of residential and academic areas.
In 1918, Jansen was inducted into the Royal Prussian Academy of Arts in Berlin and in their Senate and received the title of professor. On the occasion of his 50th birthday he was awarded the Technical University of Stuttgart as the founder and leader of the modern urban art honorary doctorate. He was a member of the Advisory Council of the Prussian cities Ministry of Public Works. He was a member of the Association of Architects of Berlin and the Association of German Architects ( BDA).
In 1920, Hermann Jansen was appointed to the Technical University of Charlottenburg as an associate professor of urban architecture; In 1923, he joined as a full professor of urban planning at the successor of Felix Genzmer. 1930 Jansen was appointed professor of Urban Art at the University of Berlin.
He worked full or partial building plans for Berlin (various districts), Nuremberg, Fürth, Bamberg, Wiesbaden, Cologne, Schleswig, Rendsburg, Halberstadt, Husum ( Zoning of the site to the Lämmerfennen 1911; published, partially executed ) Emden, Minden, Goslar, Hameln, Osnabrück, Brandenburg, (Duisburg ) Bissingheim, Prenzlau, Neisse, Schwerin, Schweidnitz and many other small towns. Jansen also planned for foreign cities like Riga, Lodz, Bratislava or mountains. In Madrid he was involved in planning the extension of Paseo de la Castellana after Chamartín.
Hermann Jansen won the 1929 limited which was organized by the Turkish government on leading city builders of Germany and France competition for the redesign of the Turkish capital Ankara; to this planning has helped Otto Blum, Professor of Verkersplanung and Urban Development at the Technical University of Hanover. In Ankara, as with planning for other Turkish cities (including Izmit [ Nikodemia ], Izmir, Adana, Tarsus and Mersin ) bound Jansen urban area in the surrounding landscape, trying to preserve the heritage and historic buildings as part of the redevelopment. Jansen also served as judges in competitions and as a reviewer.