Herzogenburg Monastery

The pin Herzogsburg is a convent of the Congregation of the Austrian Augustinian Canons in Duke Castle in Austria.


The monastery was in St. Georgen ad Traisen founded in 1112 by Ulrich I of Passau, at the confluence of the Danube and Traisen traisen laid up in 1244 because of frequent flooding 10 km to Duke castle. Thus there was also the "Upper Market ", which was managed grundherrschaftlich by the Canons, while the "Lower Market" as Bavarian establishment remained there until his 1806 purchase made ​​by the Canons in the possession of the monastery Formbach.

From 1714 the pin Herzogsburg by Jacob Prandtauer, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach and Joseph Munggenast Baroque style. The Josephine canceling wave of the monasteries could miss the pen, the dissolved monasteries Canons Dürnstein and St. Andrew on the Traisen were incorporated, with its many parishes by Duke Castle, so that the pin material clearly emerged stronger from the Josephine reforms.

The conversion of the pen began with the foundation stone on March 25, 1714, the construction management of Jacob Prandtauer. First, the south wing, or guest wing were built and subsequently the east wing to the great hall. With the order of the stonework for the emperor Gallus hall Johann hill is received in the literature. In a hand -written letter from him, he brings the proof that Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach designed this room. On April 22, 1716, he submitted a draft Contractes on work on the new hall, on April 29, the contract was concluded. In a letter dated 17 March 1718, he stated that he ... the Specification to the Contract sambt the Cobey of H. Fischer's demolition ... still have hands.

The largest renovation of the pen since the conversion took with enormous support from taxpayers' money by the province of Lower Austria and the city duke castle and private donations from the year 2000 and was organized for the 900 -year anniversary in 2012. The complete exterior facade, as well as parts was restored in the courtyards. The historic gardens, such as the prelate garden, the fruit and the Rose Garden were able to be revitalized. Even indoors deal has been renovated, the ballroom, the Frigdiani and the choir chapel and the monastery library, including their book inventory.

The magnificent baroque tower of the collegiate church, architectural counterpart to Dürnsteiner monastery tower and landmark of the lower Traisental, and the church itself, however, were not renovated.

900 - year Anniversary: ​​April 22 to October 28, 2012, the 900 - year anniversary of the pin was celebrated by many events and a revamped art collection.

Art Collection

The focus of the collection is late Gothic works such as panel paintings, sculptures and stained glass windows. The Grand Ballroom, the treasury and the monastery library, with their manuscripts and incunabula ( see brief inventory ) and the Numismatic emphasize the art historical significance of the pin within Lower Austria. Also worth mentioning is the baroque images Hall, which focuses not only religious motives. A special feature is a well-preserved Roman face helmet, which was found in a gravel pit in the area, and is dated to about the year 150 AD.

Collegiate Church

The collegiate church was founded by Emperor Henry II to 1014, she wears as the patronal feast of the parish church Erzmärtyrers Stephen (after the patron saint of the cathedral in Passau). In 1112 the Monastery of St. Georgen was founded. For his maintenance, it received the parishes Herzogsburg and Traisen castle. 1244 the transfer of the pen of St. Georgen to Herzogsburg took place. Until 1783 the monastery was in the diocese of Passau, then it belonged to the newly formed Diocese of St. Joseph II Pölten.

From the Gothic church of small residues can only be obtained ( entrance and the second floor of the tower ). The architect of the church was Franz Munggenast (son of Joseph Munggenast ). One of the key artists of the interior was the sculptor Johann Joseph Resler. After more than four decades of construction, the church was dedicated on October 2, 1785. It's the last major of the Baroque church in Austria. The patron of the pin is the hl. Georg, the collegiate church Herzogsburg thus has a double patronage.

The organ was built in 1752 by organ builder Johann Hencke. The instrument has 40 stops on three manual and pedal works. The second manual work, the Grand positive is scheduled similar to a major work.

Augustinian Canons

The monastery stands since 1979 before Propst Maximilian Fürnsinn, pen dean since 2011 Mauritius Lenz. The Convention currently comprises more ten canons, and two Familiarkanoniker also be cared for.

The pin following parishes incorporated:

  • Brunn im Felde
  • Dürnstein
  • Grafenwörth
  • Grove
  • Haitzendorf
  • Herzogsburg
  • Inzersdorf
  • Maria Ponsee
  • Nußdorf / Traisen
  • Reid Ling
  • St.Andrae / Traisen
  • Statzendorf
  • Stollhofen
  • Tisza

And the branch church Radlberg

Propst series

To: W. Payrich, Duke Castle, in: The existing pins of the Augustinian Canons in Austria, South Tyrol and Bohemia, ed. by F. Roehrig. Klosterneuburg / Vienna 1997, 89f.

St. George Bridge

In commemoration of the original monastery in St. Georgen received the new Danube bridge Traismauer, which opened in 2010, also the name of St. George Bridge.