Hillingdon tube station
Hillingdon is an aboveground station London Underground in the London Borough of Hillingdon. It is located in the Travelcard Zone 6, on the corner of Western Avenue (A40 ) and Long Lane. The area served by the Metropolitan Line and the Piccadilly Line station was used in 2011 of 1.40 million passengers.
The route of the Metropolitan Railway ( predecessor company of the Metropolitan Line) between Harrow-on- the-Hill and Uxbridge existed since July 4, 1904 and had been electrified, six months later. Almost twenty years the trains due to the low density of development without stopping by here. In order to tap emerging residential areas in the immediate vicinity of the station Hillingdon was subsequently built on the existing route and inaugurated on 10 December 1923. From the first day also features the Metropolitan District Railway held ( predecessor of the District line ).
The station was built in a very simple construction and offered no comfort. At the beginning of this fully enough, but with the increasing construction activity increased passenger frequencies continuously. Increasingly, there were complaints from the passengers who complained about especially the lack of toilets. Finally took place on April 30, 1931 after three months of construction, the opening of the new station building. On 23 October 1933, the trains on the District line were replaced by those of the Piccadilly Line.
In the early 1990s, the Western Avenue was expanded into a multi-lane road. For this reason, the station had to be moved about 150 meters to the southwest. The new, completely covered with a glass roof system adopted on 6 December 1992 on the operation and was completed in 1994. While the original station building of the highway had to give way, since 2011 is the new under local protection.