Holy Ghost Fathers
The Mission Society of the Holy Spirit under the protection of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (short form: Holy Ghost Fathers, Latin: Congregation of Sancti Spiritus, religious symbol: CSSp ) is a Roman Catholic religious order.
The male order is since May 27, 1703. Seminar by the Holy Spirit was founded in 1703 by Claude Poullart des Places and devoted himself in the aftermath of pastoral care among the planters and slaves of the French colonies. In addition, it should be used mainly in metropolitan France for the education of young people and to accept the poor. The converted Jew Francois Marie Paul Libermann from Saverne in Alsace founded in 1841 the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Both organizations are active worldwide since 1848 on the orders of Rome as Missionary Society of the Holy Spirit.
2012, the Congregation 2,993 members (29 bishops, 2,192 priests, 209 religious brothers and 563 professed temporary vows ). Of the 1,666 members of the Order come from Europe, 1,058 from Africa or the Indian Ocean region, 160 from North America, 113 from Latin America, 7 from Asia and three from Oceania. In addition, the Congregation belong to 75 lay associates from different countries. Of the 565 students come from over 500 countries in the southern hemisphere.
Currently, the Holy Ghost Fathers are active in 61 countries on all five continents. In the future one wants to implement different priorities: evangelization and development in countries where civil wars prevail; pastoral and humanitarian assistance to refugees, foreign workers and marginalized young people; Dialogue with Islam and other religions; appropriate to current requirements of the mission training; pastoral activity and promotion of lay associates.
The seat of the General Council is in the Clivo di Cinna 195 in Rome. The German headquarters is located in Knechtsteden monastery west of Dormagen. Spiritan communities there Wuerselen - Broich, Rostock, Speyer, Stuttgart and Podvinje / Croatia.
- Claude -François Poullart of Places ( 1703 - October 2, 1709 )
- Jacques Garnier (1709 - 1710)
- Bozic, Louis (1710 - 1763)
- Julien- Francois Becquet (1763 - 1788)
- Jean -Marie Duflos (October 28, 1788 - February 28, 1805 )
- Jacques Bertout (1805 - 1832)
- Amable Fourdinier (25 December 1832-1845 )
- Nicolas Warnet (1845 - 1845)
- Alexandre Leguay (1845 - February 29, 1848 )
- Alexandre- Hippolyte -Xavier Monnet (1848 - 1848)
- François -Marie -Paul Libermann (November 3, 1848 - February 2, 1852 )
- Ignace Schwindenhammer (February 2, 1853-1881 )
- Frédéric Le Vavasseur (27 August 1881-1882 )
- Ambroise Emonet (August 26, 1882 - October 17, 1895 )
- Alexandre- Louis -Victor -Aimé Le Roy (1896 - 1926)
- Louis Le Hunsec (1926 - 1950)
- Francis Griffin (1950 - 1962)
- Marcel -François Lefebvre (1962 - 1968)
- Joseph Lécuyer ( September 9, 1968 - 1972)
- Frans Timmermans (1972 - 1986)
- Pierre Haas (1986 - 1992)
- Pierre Schouver ( September 8, 1992 - 2004)
- Jean- Paul Hoch (2004 - 2012)
- John Fogarty, since 2012