Homorod, ( German Hamruden, Hungarian Homorod ) is a municipality in the district of Brasov in Transylvania, Romania.
Homorod located 3 km east of Rupea.
The place is a settlement of German emigrants, the Transylvanian Saxons, founded in the 12th century. It lies at the confluence of the two Homorod Brooks. The town was first mentioned in 1400 as Hamorodia. However exhibit archaeological finds point to a much earlier settlement from the Neolithic; as a fired clay figurine and Roman brick remains were found. Until the 18th century, the Hungarian name Homorod Szaszszentpeter was used, which means " Saxon St Peter village on Homorod " means. This name refers to a first church out near the town, which might have been dedicated to St. Peter. Her former location is north of the modern Romanian cemetery on a mountain named " On the Church " suspected.
Since 1488 a schoolmaster was employed by the municipality; it was inhabited by 68 farmers and four shepherds, this corresponded to about 300 residents. Also a mill is attested.
On Maundy Thursday, April 13, 1623, a fire destroyed the entire village.
Since the beginning of the 18th century lived in the village of Romanian settlers, mostly as a shepherd, but also as farmers. In 1941 1503 people lived in Homorod, of which only 508 the Transylvanian Saxons.
Homorod is the seat of the mayor of the municipality of the same name.
All resorts in the community Homorod are strongly influenced by agriculture; the residents earn their main livelihood. In 2002 1383 people lived in the proper place, of which 913 Romanians, 306 Hungarians, 34 Transylvanian Saxons and 129 Roma.
The present church was built about 1270 as a Romanesque church hall. The church was the end of the 15th century fortified proficient rebuilt; to a large tower over the old chancel was built. In addition, the church was protected by ramparts. At the corners of the perimeter wall are four towers, the second annular wall is lower and surrounds the first. In 1784 the church to the south was expanded and grown a new choir. Therefore, the church has a south facing today. In the old chancel wall paintings were obtained from the 13th century, as the Roman triumphal arch, on the basis of which the western tower wall had to be filled. It is not known exactly when this measure was made , but it must have been before the Reformation. This never whited wall paintings are the oldest preserved in Transylvania, in which meld Roman and Gothic styles. More Romanesque details can be found on the walls of the hall and on the west facade. Organ and altar, however, are in the late 18th century, probably in the course of tags, created.
Murals in the old choir
In the concha of the apse Christ appears in a mandorla halo, he stands on the rainbow ( Majestas Domini ). It is surrounded by the Tetramorph, the symbols of the Evangelists. At its sides the intercessors John and Mary are also still Cherumbin ( deesis ). Under the picture runs too high with cloverleaf circuit in the meeting place of brick towers on the place settings Apsidenwand an apostle frieze below arcades. Both paintings form a unit and belong to a representation of the Last Judgement, typical of western portals of churches. The linear narrative style, popular in Transylvania from the 14th century, undergoes a peculiar force by emphasizing the lines. Also on the south wall there are traces of the original paint have received, but are partially blurred. Fragments to recent could get on the north wall of the choir, the upper half visible scene shows Christ as Man of Sorrows, whose main Mary tends. Can also be seen with a banner an angel. The lower part covered by 2001 the figure of the crucified Christ, which belongs to the third layer of paint. This scene was stolen during restoration work on the church castle in 2001 and has not appeared. This scene of the third layer of paint dated Fabritius - Dancu to about 1420, as it has identical elements with paintings in the Hungarian Reformed Church of Dârjiu ( recorder). These come from the painter Paul of Ung from the year 1419th
- Staedel Wilhelm (1890-1971), bishop of the Evangelical Church in Romania