Honda Civic Hybrid
Civic Integrated Motor Assist (IMA ) from 2003 to 2005, the model designation for a vehicle with hybrid drive of the Japanese automaker Honda. From 2006, the name in Civic Hybrid was changed because the term " IMA " was not perceived by the market as a name for a new drive. Until then, less than 500 copies were sold in Germany. 2010, the sale in Germany has been discontinued and is considered as the successor of the Honda Insight.
The IMA system is installed in Europe in slightly modified four-door American sedan model of the Honda Civic and consists of a 1.3 -li - DSI i- VTEC engine and a 144 -volt electric motor (158 volts since 2006 ). This engine is very short and therefore fits between the gasoline engine and the transmission. It acts as a starter, alternator and a "booster ", which assists the petrol engine when needed.
Used as the only drive; Since 2006, the electric motor ( stop-and -go typically in slow city traffic ) operates at low power requirement. The slight electric motor is 65 mm long and has a weight of 30 kg.
The rechargeable nickel -metal hydride battery made by Panasonic of the electric motor is housed in the rear seat back so that the rear seats can not be folded. Nevertheless, the Civic IMA has a boot volume of 342 liters ( 350 liters since 2006).
To solve the trade-offs between performance, comfort, fuel consumption and exhaust emissions play IMA, i- VTEC and i- DSI together.
- I -VTEC (intelligent Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control ) is a variable valve control system, in three stages adjusts the valve timing and strokes on the operating conditions and the Civic IMA, the valves of three cylinders, the Civic Hybrid, the valves of all four cylinders shut down when no required power ( cylinder deactivation).
- I- DSI - Dual & Sequential Ignition: Two oppositely arranged spark plugs per cylinder ignite at varying times or at high speeds simultaneously to control the combustion process variable.
- When starting up and accelerating the combined energy of electric and gasoline motor acts. A pure electric vehicle launch is not included in this concept. The fuel consumption is reduced by use of a smaller gasoline engine and use previously rekuperierter energy.
- At a constant travel speed, the vehicle is driven exclusively by the petrol engine. If necessary, these charges through the electric machine as a generator running on the battery.
- When braking or coasting three ( four since 2006 ) of four cylinders are deactivated and the IMA electric motor is used as a generator. The shutdown of the cylinder takes place by constantly keeping closed the valves. This is realized by avoiding the VTEC and pumping losses that would otherwise contribute to the essential part of the engine braking effect in the overrun mode. The kinetic energy of the carriage is thus used for the production of electricity, which is supplied to the battery. The resistance generator in the power generation is utilized for the vehicle deceleration, the effect similar to the engine brake in internal combustion engines.
- The electric motor was originally designed only as an auxiliary drive, driving the Civic IMA ( prior to 2006) never alone, there are only three cylinders shut down. The Civic Hybrid from 2006 is driven at low speeds and low loads with sufficient battery charge state solely by the electric motor. This mode is automatically enabled and can not be selected manually. In this case, all valves are closed, thus avoiding the gas-exchange losses, so that the engine can be easily moved by the electric motor.
- When the vehicle is stopped, the gasoline engine is completely switched off, he stands still. As soon as the driver shifts into first gear or (since 2007) releases the brake, the gasoline engine is started automatically by the electric motor again.
Civic Hybrid (2006-2010)
Since April 2006, combined Honda the uprated by 20 percent 1.3 -liter four- cylinder (70 kW [ 95 hp ] and 123 Nm of torque ) with a new electric motor, which is now at 158 V nominal voltage 15 kW ( 20 hp) and 103 Nm of torque ( 50 percent more than the " IMA " ) can contribute to the overall performance. The battery pack has been reduced by approximately 13 percent; the trunk volume could be increased to 350 liters. In addition, the new model comes exclusively with a continuously variable automatic transmission CVT to increase the efficiency of the overall concept further. In addition, the Civic Hybrid also drive for a few miles only with electric drive. The list price was given in March 2007 with 23,800 euros. 2010, this model was discontinued and replaced by the Honda Insight.
Driving performance and environmental
The performance of the Civic IMA same as those of a 1.6-liter sedan, the combined consumption of 4.9 liters per ECE 100 km corresponded to a small car. Honda received for this hybrid drive 2004 "Engine of the Year" award in the 1.0 - to 1.4 -liter class. In Civic " Hybrid" of consumption could be reduced further, to now 4.6 liters. According to the manufacturer it creates 1068 km on a single tank. With CO2 emissions of 109 g / km, the vehicle takes a leading position in the environmentally friendly vehicles. In the "Auto Environment List 2007" Verkehrsclub Germany the Civic hybrid of more than 350 cars was like last year, the most environmentally friendly, followed by the Toyota Prius. 2008 Prius pushed the Civic from first to second place.
Civic Hybrid 24-hour race
Honda sent 2007 Civic with hybrid drive to the start of the 35th 24-hour race at the Nürburgring. The Klaus Niedzwiedz (n- tv), journalist Martin Westerhoff and Christian Schön (Auto Bild Motorsport ) and the Auto Bild test driver Henning clip -controlled cars finished in the standings the 108th place with 220 competing teams. In the class of alternative drive systems, also competed in more than twice as strong turbo-diesel vehicles, the team finished sixth.
The average consumption is said to have located at 3.5 liters per lap; for a round ( about 25 km) took the team about 12 minutes. Extrapolated so consumed the car around 14 liters per 100 kilometers.