Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Template: Infobox university / professors missing
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University ( PolyU, engl. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Chinese香港 理工 大学, Pinyin Xiānggǎng Lǐgōng Daxue ) is the largest state-funded university in Hong Kong.
The University's history began in 1937 as the Government Trade School in Wan Chai. Vocational schools offered technical courses and was the first government-funded tertiary education institution in Hong Kong. 1947 was followed by the renaming in Hong Kong Technical College and in 1957 the opening of the present site in Hung Hom. 1969 began the conversion to the Polytechnic and the surrender of most vocational courses at the newly founded Morrison Hill Technical Institute (now the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education ). In 1972 the conversion was completed and reopened the facility as Hong Kong Polytechnic. 1994, PolyU has been recognized by the Hong Kong Government as a full-fledged university and changed its name to The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
The PolyU has a total of 32,000 students (2012 /13), about half of the study is financed from State resources. There are 3,500 employees, including 1,200 in the academic field. The organization is divided into six faculties and two schools:
- Faculty of Applied Science and Textiles ( various applied sciences )
- Faculty of Business ( Business Administration )
- Faculty of Construction and Environment ( Civil Engineering and Environmental Sciences )
- Faculty of Engineering ( Engineering Science)
- Faculty of Health and Social Sciences ( Health Sciences and Social Sciences)
- Faculty of Humanities ( Humanities )
- School of Design
- School of Hotel and Tourism Management (Hotel and Tourism Management )
The tallest building on campus is the Li Ka Shing Tower, named after the founder Li Ka -shing.