House of the Virgin Mary
The Virgin Mary ( Turkish ' Meryem ana evi ') The house is the last house and allegedly in the sense also the last residence of Mary, mother of Jesus ( Meryem ana) near the ancient city of Ephesus. The house is situated about 7 km from Selçuk away on Nightingale Mountain ( Bulbul Dagi ). Underneath the residence there is a spring.
Today's worship goes back to visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich on the last home and the grave of the mother of Jesus. According to their instructions the Superior of the Vincentians in Smyrna in 1891 sent a commission to the sites that actually found there a ruined house all the way to the visionary description.
In the ruins of Ephesus is well-preserved remains of St. Mary's Church, which went back to a Roman basilica dating from the 2nd century AD are located. In this church took 431 the Council of Ephesus held that the title of Mary as " theotokos ", " Mother of God " confirmed.
1896, Pope Leo XIII. Mary's house for pilgrimage. His successor, Pius X, the pilgrims and pilgrims granted a plenary indulgence of sin penalties. 1960 Presentation of the Lord sent Pope John XXIII. a special candle to the house. Such candles are sent only to the most important Marian shrines.
Pope Paul VI. visited the house on July 26, 1967, and confirmed its authenticity. Pope John Paul II visited it on 30 November 1979, Pope Benedict XVI. on 29 November 2006. Every year there to the Assumption on August 15 instead of a memorial service.
Many Muslims worship there, "the mother of the Prophet Isa ibn Maryam ".