Hudson Motor Car Company
Hudson Motor Car Co. is a former American automobile company that existed from 1909 to 1954. In 1954, Hudson merged with Nash Motors to form the American Motors Corporation ( AMC).
The Hudson Motor Car Company was founded in 1909 in Detroit. It got its name from Joseph Lowthian Hudson, who raised the seed capital for establishing a business. The company soon earned a reputation as an innovative car manufacturer. Following today natural features first appeared in vehicles of the brand Hudson:
- Warning lights for oil pressure and alternator
- Balanced crankshaft
By the late 1930s, Hudson had been working with up to 300,000 vehicles annually up to third place in the American manufacturers list. In 1929, only Ford and Chevrolet presented more cars here.
Cheaper cars were brought under the name Essex ( until 1931 ), or Terraplane out (from 1932). In 1954 the company was merged with Nash Motors to form the American Motors Corporation. The Hudson models - all of them technically obsolete at that time - were set immediately after the merger.
In the 1950s, Hudson was a popular brand in the NASCAR series; especially Dick Rathmann sat in all its 128 races 1951-1958 on a Hudson Hornet and was able to achieve 13 wins as well as many pole positions.
Given the popularity of John Steinbeck the Hudson Super Six chose as the vehicle of his protagonists in the novel The Grapes of Wrath.
In the Disney / Pixar movie "Cars" the character of Doc Hudson by a Hudson Hornet is embodied.