Hugh J. Jewett
Hugh Judge Jewett ( born July 1, 1817, Harford County, Maryland, † March 6, 1898 in Augusta, Georgia ) was an American politician. In 1873 and 1874 he represented the state of Ohio in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Hugh Jewett was the younger brother of Joshua Jewett (1815-1861), who represented the state of Kentucky in the U.S. House of Representatives. He attended preparatory schools and then the Hopewell Academy in Pennsylvania. After a subsequent law degree in 1838 and its recent approval as a lawyer, he started in St. Clairsville (Ohio ) to work in this profession. After a detour through Columbus he arrived in 1848 to Zanesville, where he in 1852 president of the local branch of the State Bank was founded in the year. In 1854 he took over the office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio. Politically, he was a member of the Democratic Party. In 1853 he was a member of the Senate of Ohio; In 1855 he became a deputy in the House of Representatives of his State. Jewett has been renowned in the railroad business, and in 1857 president of the Central Ohio Railroad. Then he founded the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad. He is also a founder of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
1861 Hugh Jewett ran unsuccessfully for the governorship. Two years later, he failed in the elections to the U.S. Senate. Between 1868 and 1869 he was again in the House of Representatives from Ohio. In 1871, he was advisor to the Pennsylvania Railway System. In the congressional elections of 1872 Jewett was in the twelfth electoral district of Ohio in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he became the successor of Philadelph Van Trump on March 4, 1873. This mandate he was able to exercise until his resignation on 23 June 1874. This came after he had become President of the then financially troubled Erie Railroad. He succeeded soon to stabilize this railway company and return to profitability. In 1884, he withdrew into retirement, which he spent in New York City. He died on March 6, 1898 during a visit to Georgia and was buried in Zanesville.