I-mode is a portal service for mobile phones. There are Web -like pages shown - but adapted to the capabilities of the mobile phone displays. i- mode pages are written in chtml. i-mode (set in Germany in 2008 ) is in direct competition to WAP.
I-mode provides color text, graphics, video and sounds. To use the full functionality and all the display options specific i-mode - enabled handsets are required. i-mode was developed by NTT Docomo, led by Keiichi Enoki in Japan, launched on 22 February 1999, where it has over 52 million users (as of July 2007), which can access more than 92,000 i-mode websites. Worldwide has passed the milestone of 50 million users on 10 November 2005 i-mode. This is i-mode is the most successful mobile data service in the world. Mari Matsunaga is considered the " mother of i-mode".
The success of i-mode in Japan in particular has two main causes:
While at the business models in Europe that began WAP, mainly concern was to make their own portals to the fore, an attempt was made in Japan with i-mode from the beginning to create a revenue sharing with content providers. So even small provider i-mode pages could provide profitable.
The second reason is that home use in Japan much less human and a computer that much more and longer trips are made on public transport. Thus, the mobile Internet is one of the main sources of information.
The i- mode service, there is currently next to Japan in Singapore ( StarHUB ) and Taiwan (Far EasTone ) and in the following European markets:
I-mode has been set in the following markets:
- Bulgaria ( Globul )
- Greece ( Cosmote )
- Ireland (O ₂)
- Italy ( WIND )
- Netherlands ( KPN )
- Spain ( Telefonica Moviles )
- United Kingdom (O ₂)
In Germany i-mode was introduced to CeBit 2002 by E-Plus and set again in 2008. O ₂ has not followed the original plan to launch i-mode in 2006.
I-mode milestones and development of registered i-mode users in Japan
- 6 September 2005: Launch of i-mode service with the Israeli mobile operator Cellcom
- 15 September 2005: Launch of i-mode service in the Russian mobile operator Mobile TeleSystems ( circulation area: Moscow and St. Petersburg)
- October 1, 2005: Start of the i-mode service in the British O ₂ in the UK and Ireland
- November 19, 2005: Start of the i-mode service in Singapore at the network operator StarHUB
This is i-mode in 13 countries available: Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Israel, Russia, Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy and Greece.
- June 7, 2006: E -Plus is known to set the i- mode service in Germany, what happened to December 2007. It can be used only by existing customers.
- The Australian provider Telstra provides an i-mode end of 2007.
IHTML & DoJa
In order to display web pages on the i-mode mobile phones is iHTML, one of chtml (C for " compact" ) derived markup language (English markup language) used. iHTML was developed by NTT DoCoMo and is a proprietary standard. iHTML uses a subset of HTML tags. Are supplemented tags around some new elements such as representation of symbols, keyboard control commands and mobile- specific features, such as links to mobile numbers.
For the development of Java applications on i-mode mobile phones DoJa was developed ( for " DoCoMo 's Java ").
I-mode mobile phones
The names of the i-mode mobile phones consist of manufacturer codes generations / function scope number and the final " i" together.
Devices in Japan:
- The 900 series offers 3G ( FOMA ), character -based video calling, barcode reader, megapixel camera and QVGA displays and much more.
- The 700 Series offers 3G ( FOMA ), character -based video calling, barcode reader, megapixel camera and QVGA display with no other functions.
- The iC- suffix indicates that this device is equipped with a contactless " FeliCa " IC chip, the owner, for example, the payment allowed by mobile phone. From the 902er series all phones have a contactless FeliCa chip.
Devices outside of Japan:
- The series 2 starting with 2 has a color screen and provides, for example, polyphonic ringtones and i- mail.
- The 3 Series beginning with 3, in addition to the above equipment features an integrated camera yet. Devices of the '34 series are also Java -enabled.
- Additional 41x- it devices have a megapixel camera.
- Additional 42x- it devices allow new Java games ( DoJa 2.5).
- Additional 43x - he - devices have an expandable by memory card memory.