The Ibirapuera Park is a large urban park in São Paulo and a cultural center of the city. The importance of the park for São Paulo is comparable to that of Central Park in New York City. With an area of almost two square kilometers, it is the second largest park in São Paulo. Of these, approximately 1 million square meters of green space and 150,000 square meters of water. The park has about 300,000 visitors a week, 200,000 of them on the weekend and 120,000 on Sunday.
The park was to be inaugurated on the occasion of the 400 - year celebration of São Paulo on 25 January 1954. He eventually was open on 21 August 1954, the population. The buildings were designed by the architect Oscar Niemeyer, Carlos Lemos and others. The landscape designed Roberto Burle Marx and Otavio Texeira Mendes. Ibirapera means as much as " bad tree " in the language of the Tupi - Guarani and refers to the formerly located at this place swampland.
The park is home to several buildings, among others, the Museum of Modern Art in the building of the Biennale of São Paulo, the monument " Monumento aos Bandeirantes ", a planetarium and several sides open, undulating multi-purpose halls. On weekends here regularly free outdoor concerts especially known Brazilian artists will take place. The Japanese Pavilion was built at the inauguration ceremony of the Japanese delegation and represents a replica of the Katsura Palace in Kyoto
The park is also characterized by its versatility and its vegetation. In particular, the large fig trees near the entrance to No. 7, the strains grown together form a kind of gateway to several meters in diameter, and flowering in September Jacaranda Avenue are worth seeing on the banks of the artificial lake.
The huge fountain that combines every second jets of water from a plurality of nozzles in countless different variations, has become since its renovation into a tourist attraction.