Iernut ( Radnuten German, Hungarian Radnót ) is a town in Mureş county in Romania.
Iernut is located approximately in the middle of Transylvania on the left bank of the river Mures ( Mures ). The county town Targu Mures is located about 25 km northeast.
Archaeological discoveries in the field of Iernut, called by the locals Fundu Bedeelor , evidence of a settlement of the region since the Bronze Age. On the territory of the present town existed a Roman colony in the 2nd and 3rd centuries.
Iernut was first mentioned in records in 1257 under the name terra Ranolth; it belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary, later the Principality of Transylvania and Austria - Hungary. 1461, the village was raised to the market ( oppidum Radnot ). The place was the center of a feudal system, which belonged to several Hungarian noble families was (among Bethlen and Rákoczi ) sequentially. Since 1854, the Romanian name is documented in writing. In September 1944 - during the Second World War - it came in today's district Oarba de Mureş fierce fighting between German troops on the one hand and Soviet and Romanian units on the other. In Socialist Romania presence of several industries, including a thermal power plant was carried out. 1989 Iernut was appointed to the city.
In addition to the energy are important branches of industry, agriculture, food processing and fish farming.
In the 1850 census had a population of 5,268 on the territory of today's 4,113 Romanians, 851 Hungarians and 292 Roma. By 1966 a significant population increase was recorded ( 11,635 ); then, the population has declined. In 2002, in the town of 9,523 people registered, including 7,229 Romanians, 1,426 Hungarians, 852 Roma and 12 German. 5,830 lived in the city proper, 3,693 in the eight incorporated villages.
Iernut lies on the railway line Alba Iulia Târgu Mureş. In both directions, at about eight commuter trains daily. There are regular bus services to Luduş and Targu Mures. By Iernut passes the European route 60
- Castle Kornis - Rákoczi - Bethlen ( 1545, rebuilt 1650 to 1660 ) in Renaissance style, is a listed building.
- Reformed Church in the 15th century built, rebuilt in the 19th century, is a historical monument.
- Orthodox Church ( 18th century )
- Historical Museum
- Monument to the fighting in 1944 in the district Oarba de Mureş
- Wooden church in the district Deag built in 1765, is a listed building.
Wooden church in Sfântu Gheorghe
Reformed Church in Iernut