Hedgehog is a municipality in the Trier -Saar castle in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Trier -Land. Historically and visually outstanding monument is a Roman tomb, the Igel column.
- 8.1 Railway
- 8.2 roads
Hedgehogs located on the left bank of the Moselle west of Trier, close to the Luxembourg border, about one kilometer upstream from the mouth of the Saar on the opposite bank. A geological feature is the Igel Fault, a tectonic shift from red sandstone and limestone rock on the " Hedgehog Mountain." She sits down on the Mosel away away and can be easily observed from the opposite " Liescher Mountain" from.
Hedgehog consists of the districts Hedgehog (1753 inhabitants) and Liersberg (272).
The place name derives from the hedgehog eagle figure ( Adler = Latin aquila, French aigle, Eng. Eagle [ i ː ɡɫ ] ) here, which graced the top of the Igel Column and can be seen from the still residues. The ancient Romans, the eagle was the symbol of the god Jupiter. Similarly, crowned with eagles buildings were referred to in several Rhenish towns as, Eigelstein ' within the meaning of Adlerstein. Local historian Dr. Eberhard tooth bore the name in contrast to the Middle Latin word " agulia " (cf. French aiguille = needle ) returns, the medieval name for the obelisk in Rome.
After the conquest of the land of Gaul ( 58-51 BC) and the area of the Celtic Treverians ( around 50 BC ) remained the Trier land until 450 AD under Roman rule. Within this period hedgehog emerged from a settlement near the villa of the cloth manufacturer and landowner family of Sekundinier. Presumably, the villa was on the plateau above the monument of Igel Column, where today stands the old village chapel or about 400 m further east in the corridor "King Night".
Studies at and below the " Igel Column ," the tomb of the secondary Diner, in 1911 have shown that under or in the vicinity of the monument no grave chamber is present. About 1.6 km to the west from the tomb, however, is a Roman grave chamber that " the Grutenhäuschen " ( Grut = cave) is popularly known. It has been restored on the remains of the original grave chamber in 1962 by the Landesmuseum in Trier. 2001, the upper and front parts of the original temple were reconstructed so that it you can see it today, as it originally looked.
To 275/276 hedgehog was probably set like many other towns and villages in the area with the incursions of the Alemanni and Franks in ruins.
Around 700 gave the Frankish king Childeric III. under the house Meier Pepin of Heristal ( 678-714 ) Archbishop Lutwinus ( 695-713 ) in Trier his possession, the former Secundinii - estate in hedgehogs. Presumably a chapel was built already at this time in hedgehog, which was dedicated to St. Dionysius.
At the Easter days of the year 882 the city of Trier and the surrounding countryside, including hedgehog were looted and vandalized again in the second Norman invasion. The Igel Column survived this storm Norman, but was damaged by tearing out the iron clamps.
In the year 929 Hedgehog was first mentioned. It is a deed of gift of a certain Megingaud, so the three hooves land, vineyards and accessories bequeathed in "Villa Aguilla " of the Abbey of St. Maximin in Trier.
At the site of the old chapel was built around 700 village chapel was built about 1250. It was the hl. Dedicated to Dionysius, because the place in possession of a relic. This saint is the patron saint of the church.
1712 were choir and nave expire in 1756, the chapel was in ruins. 1759/60 it was rebuilt, with the involvement of the Roman tower of the original building. 1953/54, the new parish church was built.
From 1912 until its destruction in 1945, spanned with a hedgehog unofficially Hindenburgbrücke called the Moselle railway bridge, built to relieve the older and still existing concerts Mosel Saar bridge below the mouth.
On March 16, 1974, until then independent municipality Liersberg was incorporated into hedgehogs.
The historical name of the place were Agullia, Egela (1052-1145), Eglah (1052-1195), Egele ( 12th century), Egle ( 1220-1515 ), leeches ( 1400-1648 ), Egell ( 458-1541 ), Eggel (1501-1528), Eegel ( 1540 ).
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in hedgehog consists of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election on 7 June 2009, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the elected local council:
Culture and sights
Hedgehog is famous due to its Igel Column. This monument from the Roman period is a circa 23 -meter high monument grave of red sandstone. The cloth merchant and landowning family of Secundinii had it built in the middle of the 3rd century.
It is located exactly 9 km from the Roman Bridge in Trier. This is also clear from the inscription "L IIII ", which can be found on the columnar milestone in relief in the attic of the west side of the monument (in the middle of the background of the carriage drawn by two horses travel ). "L IIII " means " Leugae quattuor " = 4 = 4 marker from Gallic miles = about 9 km. She fell in the Middle Ages to destruction, because they held the three figure group on the front page for an illustration of the wedding of the Roman emperor Constantius Chlorus with Flavia Iulia Helena Augusta, parents of Constantine the Great.
In the Rheinische Landesmuseum in Trier is a copy of the original, which was provided with the original paint in the courtyard. The Igel Column is a UNESCO World Heritage Roman Monuments, Cathedral and Church of Our Lady in Trier is the oldest Roman monument of its kind north of the Alps.
Another attraction is the Romanesque Gerichtslaube (stone gazebo or " Pützhaus " ), in which were held the meetings of the Hedgehog Schöffengerichts and court hearings.
See also: List of cultural monuments in hedgehog
In the village there is a volunteer fire department. The fire department hedgehog also provides fire protection in Langsur and Zewen.
Hedgehog is station on the railway line Trier - cheap water - Luxembourg. Also branches between hedgehog and the Moselle bridge from the so-called Trier West route. By 1968 Hedgehog was starting and destination station of Nims Sauer Valley Railway Erdorf - Irrel - Hedgehog ( - Trier - West). From 1912 until its destruction in 1945, crossed with hedgehog a railway bridge, called Hindenburg Bridge, the River Moselle.
The place is located on the B 49, the further ends a few kilometers in Wasserbilligerbrück on the Luxembourg border.