Iglesias is a provincial capital in the southwest of Sardinia, with 27 532 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).
The city is the seat of a Catholic diocese. The management of the 2005 newly created Province of Carbonia -Iglesias are also in Carbonia. Iglesias is the capital of the once well-known for its numerous coal, zinc and lead mines area Sulcis Iglesiente.
For several years, the cities of Carbonia and Iglesias are the official sister cities of Oberhausen in the Ruhr area due partly similar developments in the field of structural change.
Iglesias has a railway station which is the terminus of the regional train line Cagliari -Iglesias. From Iglesias formerly led narrow gauge routes to Carbonia and the industrial port Portovesme. They were most recently only used for freight traffic.
The motorway- expressway SS 130 connects Iglesias with the regional capital of Cagliari, SS 126 with Carbonia and Oristano.
Until the 14th century Iglesias was the Italian name Villa di Chiesa ( German: Kirchdorf ). As Sardinia in 1324 came to the Aragonese, the place took the name of today's Spanish (Spanish Iglesia ( s ) - German church ( n)).
- The Chiesa di San Salvatore ( early Byzantine ashlar )
- Temple of Antas