Monastery Signy Monastery Valroy
The monastery Igny ( Igniacum ) is a former Cistercian abbey in the town of Arcis -le- Ponsart in the department of Marne, Champagne- Ardenne, France, on the border of Aisne. It is located about 14 km south of Fismes.
The monastery was founded on one of Renaud de Martigny des Prés, the Archbishop of Reims, donated land in 1126 as the fifth daughter house of Clairvaux Abbey Primary. From him the immediate daughter Signy ups monastery and convent Valroy went out. The monastery, which at times had more than 300 monks and was wealthy with more than 5000 acres of land and had a series of Gran Gien, flourished for a long time. The second abbot, Guerric, wrote sermons that reflect the Cistercian doctrine. In 1545 the monastery was in Upcoming and saw its decline until it fell into disrepair during the French Revolution of resolution. 1733 the abbey church was demolished in the 14th century and replaced by a new church, whose construction lasted until 1789. After collection of the Trappists in 1875 the abbey was rebuilt in 1878 and existed until 1903. During the First World War it was transformed into a military hospital during the war and laid in ruins. In 1929, the monastery of Trappist nuns, the convent of La Coudre -Laval ( Mayenne ) was came again occupied, under which it was rebuilt.
Buildings and plant
The ground plan of the ancient abbey has been developed during excavations in 1962. The present building is a Neo-Gothic reconstruction. Get the grange of Montbaon in Dravegny.