Institute of Contemporary Arts
The Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA ) is a 1947 London-based major center with an art gallery for the presentation of changing exhibitions. With regard to programming especially contemporary works of British artist to be considered. Since 2011, the curator Gregor Muir is Director of the ICA.
With the aim of experimental art of any kind to provide a space, Roland Penrose concluded ELT Mesens, the publisher Geoffrey Grigson and the art critic Herbert Read in 1947 together to found the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA ) in London. Of these founders Penrose remained for 30 years the driving force. The mid to late 1950s was the critic Lawrence Alloway Assistant Director of the ICA.
Originally in the Dover Street resident, the ICA in 1968 moved to the Nash House at the end of outgoing from Buckingham Palace Mall, near Admiralty Arch, home to art galleries, a theater, two cinemas, a restaurant and a bar
The ICA is mainly financed by the Queen and is therefore politically free and independent. A technologically advanced media center goes back to a gift in 1998 of around 4 million euros by the company Sun Microsystems.
The ICA since 1980 partner of the London International Mime Festival ( LIMF ) and provides the festival every January event space.
- 40 Years of Modern Art: A selection from British Collections. Academy Hall, Oxford St., February 10, 1948 - March 6, 1948: This exhibition provided a comprehensive retrospective of Cubism. Curator: Roland Penrose.
- 40,000 Years of Modern Art: A comparison of primitive and modern. Academy Hall, Oxford St., December 20, 1948-29, January 1949: This exhibition shows especially African Art. Curator: Roland Penrose.
Since its founding in 1947, it has organized numerous exhibitions of often provocative, young artists, including the famous 1976 action " prostitution " of Coum transmission.