An International Building Exhibition ( IBA) is an inserted in Germany tool in urban planning and urban planning to put up with new ideas and projects in the social, cultural and environmental field pulses for one in each region considered necessary in the urban and landscape change.
Due to the desired across borders participation of urban planners, architects, landscape designers and companies in the international competition is to be promoted in the projects. Often be awarded by local authorities or government agencies for substantial prize money.
- The first International Building Exhibition was held in 1901 in Darmstadt. It was initiated by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig. It is regarded as a milestone of German Jugendstil.
- In Leipzig, found in 1913, the International building trade exhibition held at today's old fairgrounds. From the extensive exhibition buildings is obtained only at the exhibition site was built according to a design by Wilhelm Kreis hall, known as the People's Palace today, as well as reference objects of nine architects built residential buildings in the neighboring garden suburb Marienbrunn.
- A globally outstanding example was the 1989 to 1999 term as a future program of North Rhine -Westphalia International Building Exhibition Emscher Park. The entire region of the heavy industry between Duisburg and Dortmund, with many often contaminated with toxins wasteland has been transformed into a modern residential, cultural and recreational landscape with ecological standards.
- The International Building Exhibition Prince Pueckler country (2000-2010) has the theme of " landscape". In Lusatia be in the lignite mining and moving landscape restoration million cubic meters of earth, and created new lakes. What was once the center of energy of the GDR, today is the largest landscape construction site in Europe. Part of this process are industrial, mining equipment, factory towns and large- area industrial sites can be found for the new regulations.
- The International Building Exhibition on Urban Redevelopment Saxony -Anhalt 2010 (2003-2010), the state government of Saxony-Anhalt tried in cooperation with the Stiftung Bauhaus Dessau and the State Development Corporation SALEG under the theme " New perspectives for cities in transition " enduring a powerful and affordable infrastructure in total to realize 19 cities in Saxony-Anhalt, whose problems are often high unemployment, emigration and suburbanization. The IBA Urban Redevelopment 2010 this is particularly concerned with the phenomenon of shrinking cities.
- The IBA Hamburg (2006-2013) addressed under the slogan "Leap across the Elbe" the integration of the northern and southern part of Hamburg. The focus is therefore on the Elbe islands with the districts of Hamburg and Hamburg Veddel Wilhelm castle between Norderelbe and Southern Elbe to the south of the Elbe located finale in Harburg's inland port in Hamburg- Harburg. At the same time, in conjunction with the IBA is also the Hamburg International Garden Show 2013 ( IGS) in William Castle instead. 2010, built by Han Slawik floating IBA - Dock was used as the seat of the IBA office and as a focal point for the IBA visitor.
- With the IBA Basel 2020 (2010-2020), the tri-national region city of Basel has the task to make active the common development of the region through cross- border projects.
- IBA Berlin 2020 has been especially designed with views of open spaces and wastelands like the former Tempelhof airport and then in 2013 closing Tegel airport a third IBA in Berlin. End of May 2011 was before the deepened discussed and elaborated Prae - IBA - concept as a basis for political decision of the newly elected Senate in the fall of 2011 on whether Berlin actually wants an IBA Berlin 2020 perform. After discussions, even about other locations than originally planned ( resistance to Tempelhof- buildings ), in June 2013, the Senate has canceled due to cost reasons, the IBA Berlin 2020.
- Under the motto of knowledge creates urban place from 2012 to 2022, the IBA Heidelberg.
- 2011 decided to carry out an international exhibition, the state government of Thuringia. The International Building Exhibition Thüringen ( Thuringia IBA ) will develop innovative answers to key questions about the future in Thuringia in the next ten years. The main themes of the IBA Thuringia are the major challenges of the energy revolution and demographic change, socio - cultural and financial processes of change in their structural and landscape impacts. In this context, the content IBA Thuringia aims to develop model-like solutions and implement projects that set standards for a sustainable action. Milestones of IBA Thuringia will be their presentation for 2019 and 2023. 2014 starts the IBA Thuringia in the project work ..
- Under the motto IBA Open sought the Dutch city region Parkstad, 2020 to make the IBA Parkstad.
- From Mars to Lakeland, IBA Fürst Pueckler country, documentation, production: Wolfgang Albus iA the RBB, Original Air Date: August 25, 2010, 45 min.
Literature (selection )
- Bärbel Rechbach: From miner to Sailor - The Lausitz is changing from day to land landscape. Civil Engineering 5/2007, pp. 276-284
- IBA Hamburg- designs for the future of the metropolis
- Sally Below, Henning Moritz, Heike Oevermann: The Berlin Building Exhibitions - signpost to the future? Regio Verlag, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-929273-72-4
- The Future of International Building Exhibitions, network IBA meets IBA, IBA Hamburg ( ed.), Jovis Verlag 2010, ISBN 978-3-86859-073-9
- IBA Berlin 2020 - Documentation of preliminary work, Senate Department for Urban Development and Environment ( stadtentwicklung.berlin.de )
- Workshop discussions: