Iowa City, Iowa
Iowa City is a city in the U.S. state of Iowa. It is the administrative seat of Johnson County. By 1857 it was also the capital of Iowa, before it was moved to Des Moines. The city lies on the Iowa River and Interstate 80 The population consisted of 2010 around 68,000 inhabitants.
In Iowa City is the headquarters of the University of Iowa. In the middle of the campus is the historic former Parliament Building ( State Capitol ) of Iowa.
In addition, a U.S. Army Reserve Center is located here.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Bob Barr ( b. 1948 ), lawyer and politician
- Norm Breyfogle ( b. 1960 ), a cartoonist
- Hill Harper (born 1966 ), actor
- Nancy Hogshead (* 1962), swimmer and Olympic gold medalist
- Gail Jefferson (1938-2008), linguist
- Zach Johnson (born 1976 ), professional golfer
- Nate Kaeding ( b. 1982 ), football player
- Laura Leighton ( born 1968 ), actress
- Corine Mauch ( born 1960 ), President of Zurich city
- John Y. McCollister (1921-2013), politician
- Phil Morris ( born 1959 ), American actor
- Michael Mosley (born 1978 ), actor
- Nate Ruess ( b. 1982 ), singer
- Allan Rex Sandage (1926-2010), Astronomer
- Ashley Tesoro ( b. 1983 ), actress
- Joey Woody ( b. 1973 ), American track and field athlete