Ivry- sur -Seine is a commune of the department of Val -de- Marne, in the Ile- de -France region. It is located about seven kilometers south-east of central Paris.
The city has 58 185 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011); the area is 6.10 km ².
In the 13th century the parish church and a smaller adjacent chapel in the Bourg Saint -Marcel were at the gates of Paris settled Collegiate St. Marcel, also possessed fiefs and Manus mortua goods there. In the year 1238 were in Ivry, Theodosim ( Thiais ) and Laiacum or Laï (L' Haÿ -les- Roses) one hundred and fifty subjects or mani and their wives, children and other descendants from serfdom released .. In the 19th century, the fort was d ' Ivry built, which was to serve the defense of the capital, Paris. Mid-19th century began the industrialization of the place. He was like many suburbs of Paris ( banlieue rouge ) to a center of the labor movement, to this day, the Communist PCF mayor. The city is since the Second World War magnet for immigrants, particularly from the West Indies, the Maghreb, Indochina and Black Africa.
By metro line 7 ( stations Pierre et Marie Curie and Mairie d' Ivry ) and the high-speed railway line RER C Ivry is well integrated into the public transport system in Greater Paris.
To the north the European Route 15 that a section of the Boulevard périphérique here is the inner ring motorway of the French capital proceeds.
Paris-Orly airport is about 10 km south of Ivry.
Teaching and research
- ESME Sudria
- École des technologies numériques appliquées
- Institut polytechnique des sciences Avancées
- IONIS School of Technology and Management
- Brandenburg an der Havel, Brandenburg, Germany since 1963
- Wear Valley, Durham, United Kingdom since 1962
- Pierre Contant d' Ivry (* 1698 in Ivry -sur -Seine, † 1777 in Paris ), architect of the King
- Mohamed Mokrani ( b. 1981 ), French - Algerian handball player
- Armelle Lago ( born 1986 ), French - Ivorian football player and lawyer