Izobilny, Stavropol Krai
Isobilny (Russian Изобильный ) is a city in Stavropol (Russia) region with 40 555 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city is located in the northern Caucasus foothills on the northern edge of the Stavropol heights about 65 km north- west of the regional capital Stavropol, a few kilometers east of the Jegorlyk, a left tributary of the Manytsch.
Isobilny is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
The city lies on the opened on this section 1897 railway Kropotkin ( station Kawkasskaja ) Stavropol Elista. The station of the city is called Isobilnaja.
In the vicinity of the present town, the village was founded in 1872 Tischtschenskoje. During the construction of the railway line to Stavropol in 1895 created here a station settlement and development of the village called Isobilowo - Tischtschenski.
These grew up together and were given the name Isobilnoje 1935.
During World War II the city was occupied on August 3, 1942 by the German Wehrmacht and recaptured on 22 January 1943 by troops of the Trans- Caucasus front of the Red Army.
In 1965 the city charter was granted under the present name.
Note: Census data
Culture and sights
Isobilny has a Historical and Folk Museum.
In the village Moskowskoje remains a fortress of Azov- Mosdoker line of defense from 1780 to the then southern border of the Russian Empire and a church from the 19th century have been preserved; in the Cossack village Roschdestwenskaja also a church from the 19th century.
In Isobilny there are companies in the food and electro-technical industry and the building materials industry. The city is the center of an agricultural region.
In the settlement Solnetschnodolsk is the Stavropol thermal power plant ( Stavropolskaya GRES ).