Jaro (Iloilo City)
Jaro is one of the six districts of Iloilo City, the capital of the eponymous province in the southern part of the island of Panay. Originally, the town was founded as Malayan settlement in the late Middle Ages to the mouth of the Jaro River. The village led even then direct trade contacts with China, India and Siam (Thailand). Jaro was founded in 1584 as a Spanish municipality. The town's name changed several times by Salog to Saro to this term Jaro.
During the Spanish colonial period in the Philippines, Jaro was considered a thriving trade center of Visaya and was ranked as the richest municipality throughout the Spanish colony recognized ( 1584-1886 ). Beginning of the 17th century Dutch raided the place. 1886 Jaro was reincorporated as a city and was already economically advanced compared to other cities in the colony. 1937 Jaro was finally assigned, together with the port city of Iloilo and 4 other boroughs, the new Iloilo City.
Center of today's district is the Jaro Plaza, where the St. Elisabeth Cathedral (1834 ) and the famous clock tower are located. The district is also known for its cultural monuments as well as the many colonial houses dating from the Spanish colonial period as a cultural center. Jaro is also considered home to many Filipino industrialist as the families of Lopez, Sarabia, Jalandoni, Montinola and Ledesma. To date, there are still many industrial plants. Jaro now has a university and several colleges. Every year the feast of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria, the patroness of Western Visayas contactor is celebrated here on October 2, Graciano Lopez Jaena, and the Day on January 19.
Jaro is also the headquarters of the Archdiocese of Jaro.
- Location in the Philippines
- Iloilo City