Jasenie ( until 1927 slovak also " Jasena "; Hungarian Jecenye - to 1888 Jaszena ) is a town in central Slovakia with 1187 inhabitants ( 31 December 2011), the Region belongs to Okres Brezno, a circle of Banskobystrický and the traditional landscape Horehronie is counted.


The municipality is situated on the southern slopes of the Low Tatras, and in the valley landscape Horehronské podolie the creek Jasenský creek in the catchment area of the Hron. The almost 86.3 km ² municipal area is created above average in size and on a two available modes map about like an upside down triangle in the village itself is the "tip " and the heavily wooded valleys Jasenská valley and Lomnistá valley it widens to the main ridge of the Low Tatra from. The highest mountains in the municipality are the Chabenec (1955 m nm), Ďurková (1751 m nm), Zámostská hola (1645 m nm), Latiborská hola (1643 m nm) and Velka hola (1640 m nm). In addition, run side combs to place out the highs to 1471 m nm Reach (mountain Struhár ). The center is located at an altitude of 504 m nm and is 18 kilometers from Brezno, 30 miles from Banska Bystrica.

South of the capital is the settlement Kramlište, but which is not part of the municipality.

The territory of Jasenie borders Liptovská Lúžna, Partizánska Ľupča, Dúbrava and Lazisko in the north, Dolna Lehota the east, Predajná in the south, Nemecká the southwest, Ráztoka in the west and Pohronský Bukovec and Brusno in the northwest.


The population of the municipality dates back to Roman times.

The town was first mentioned in a charter by King Sigismund in 1424 as Jechene writing; possibly a settlement of the same name already in 1250 is mentioned. The name is derived from the Slovak word Jasen ( German ash). Jasenie was a mining village, which belonged to the dominion of the castle Liptsch; until the 16th century, precious metals were mined here, the mines were owned by the Banskobystricky entrepreneurs. From the 17th to the 19th century, there was an iron hammer mill which belonged to the mountain chamber. 1828 were counted 102 houses and 785 inhabitants, who were employed as carters, shepherds and workers in local companies, also in the 19th and 20th centuries Häkelspitzenanfertigung was widespread. In Kramlište there was a glassworks in the 19th century.

Until 1918, belonged to the lying in the county Sohl place the Kingdom of Hungary and came after Czechoslovakia or Slovakia today. In the interwar period worked a steam sawmill. The inhabitants participated in the Slovak National Uprising (SNP ) and there was brisk partisan activity in the valleys.


According to the 2011 census lived in Jasenie 1,171 inhabitants, of whom 1,123 Slovaks, two Hungarians and one each Moravians, Roma and Czech. 43 inhabitants did not know. 940 inhabitants belonged to the Roman Catholic Church, the Evangelical Church of the 27 residents, five inhabitants to the United Methodist Church and each one population to the Mormons, the Church of the Brethren, the Congregational Church and the Orthodox Church; three residents were other denomination. 119 inhabitants were non-denominational and 73 inhabitants, the denomination has not been determined.

Results according to the census 2001 (1.116 inhabitants):

After Ethnicity:

  • 99.64 % Slovaks
  • 0.27% Czechs

After Confession:

  • 88.08 % Roman Catholic
  • 8.69% no religious affiliation
  • 1.88% Evangelical
  • 1.34 % no answer


  • Roman Catholic Church in baroque Catherine -classical style from 1765
  • Bell tower in the baroque style in the 18th century
  • Exaltation of the Cross Chapel in Kramlište from 1835
  • Bunkers in the valley Lomnistá dolina
  • SNP monument and plaque