The Jazz rap is a crossover variant of hip-hop, are connected at the hip- hop songs with jazz elements. As a genre, this variant emerged in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but became internationally commercially except for a few albums not successful. The most popular German -language band of this genre is the Jazzkantine from Braunschweig.
History of jazz - rap
The history of jazz - rap began around 1988 with the singles Words I Manifest Gang Starr band with samples of Charlie Parker and Talkin ' All That Jazz Stetsasonic of Lonnie Liston Smith with elements of. The 1989 album No More Mr. Nice Guy by Gang Starr and their collaboration on the soundtrack to the film Mo ' Better Blues and the album ' Straight Out the Jungle " by Jungle Brothers (1988 ) brought further success for the jazz - rap. Influenced published by the Jungle Brothers from the Native Tongues Posse, the debut of De La Soul 3 Feet high and Rising (1989) and A Tribe Called Quest People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (1990).
The next album from A Tribe Called Quest The Low End Theory ( 1991) contained only a few jazz elements of Ron Carter, however, was so highly rated by the press and the fans, that it is one of the most important and influential albums of the decade. Although the fusion of jazz and hip- hop was commercially less successful, the last album of jazz legend Miles Davis Doo Bop appeared (1992, posthumously ) as a jazz rap album with producer Easy Mo Bee. Herbie Hancock also published in the same year with Dis Is Da Drum ( 1992), an album of jazz with hip- hop elements. Another important group are the Digable Planets with her two albums Reachin ' (A New Refutation of Time and Space ) (1993) and Blowout Comb (1994).
Appeared in 1993 with Jazzmatazz, Vol 1 of rapper Guru is one of the most successful and at the same time critical albums of jazz - rap. For the production of a jazz band was recorded live and not in the conventional way is by mixes samples. Around the same time reached the jazz - rap with the successful album Hand on the Torch (1993 ) and the Us3 Cantaloop of Europe also contained therein. Inspired by Jazzmatazz founded the jazz musician Ole Sander, Matthias Lanzer and Christian Quarter 1993, the band Jazzkantine who worked successfully together with different artists such as Smudo, cappuccino, Götz Alsmann and A Surge.
Well-known artists and albums
- Aceyalone: Love & Hate
- Bahamadia: collage
- Bop City: Hip Strut
- Buck Lefonque: Music: Evolution, Buck Lefonque
- Miles Davis Doo Bop
- Digable Planets: Reachin ': A New Refutation Of Time & Space, Blowout Comb
- Dream Warriors: And Now the Legacy Begins
- DJ Jazzy Jeff: The Magnificent
- Freestyle Fellowship: To Whom It May Concern, Innercity Griots
- Gang Starr: No More Mr. Nice Guy, Daily Operation
- Guru: Jazzmatazz ( Vols. 1-4)
- Herbie Hancock: Dis Is Da Drum
- Jazzkantine: Jazzkantine
- Jungle Brothers: Straight Out The Jungle, Done By The Forces Of Nature
- Soweto Kinch: Conversations With The Unseen
- Ozomatli: Ozomatli
- Pete Rock & CL Smooth: Mecca & The Soul Brother, The Main Ingredient
- Greg Osby: 3-D Lifestyles
- The Pharcyde: Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
- The Roots: Organix, Do You Want More? !? !
- Time Machine: TM Radio
- Spearhead: Home
- Stetsasonic: On Fire, In Full Gear
- A Tribe Called Quest: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders
- Us3: Hand on the Torch
- B. Latin Jazz: Street Gamins
- Hip -hop Musiksubgenre
- Jazz style