Jeumont is a French town with 9703 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Nord, in the Nord -Pas -de -Calais. The inhabitants are called Jeumontois.
Jeumont located 9 kilometers north-east of Maubeuge directly on the border with Belgium just 0.6 kilometers from Erquelinnes. The Sambre runs channeled through the city. The D649 and D336 traverse the city.
In Gallo -Roman times Jeumont lay on the Roman road from Bavay ( Bagacum Nerviorum ) to Trier (Augusta Treverorum ). The city's name is derived from Iovis mons, " Mount of Jupiter ."
In the 13th century it was a fief of the Seigneurs of Barbençon (now part of Beaumont ), who built a castle, of which only ruins are.
Jeumont part of the community association AgglomÃ Maubeuge Val de Sambre. Since 1973 is twinned with Krettnich and Lockweiler, two districts of Wadern in Saarland.
The ruins of a medieval castle in the rue du Château ( Castle Road ) are registered since 1997 historiques in the additional list of Monuments (historical monuments ).
The church Saint -Martin was built in the 18th century in place of an older church. In the church there are several objects that are classified as a monument historique, including the grave slab of a priest who died in 1494, the grave slab of a seigneur and his wife from the second half of the 16th century and the grave slab of Jean de Kessel, Vogt of jeumont, who died in 1700 and his wife Anne de La Biche.
In Jeumont electrical machines, motors and cables are manufactured and processed marble.