Jewish Telegraphic Agency
The Jewish Telegraphic Agency ( JTA ) is a press agency was founded in The Hague by the then twenty- year-old journalist Jacob Landau on 6 February 1917, which first introduced the name Jewish Correspondence Bureau. In 1919 he moved to London under the present name, the line had then Jacob Landau and Meir Grossmann. In 1922, New York City, the new headquarters.
History and Mission
Landau founded the Jewish Correspondence Bureau immediately before entering the United States in the First World War. The period was characterized on the one hand by the vehement debate about the entry of the United States into the war, on the other hand by the strong immigration movement especially of Eastern European Jews. The latter meant that families were separated by at that time virtually insurmountable distances.
From Landau's view, therefore, had political and social developments in the United States a strong influence on the lives of people in other countries, at the same time there was great demand for news from the countries of origin of immigrants. A reliable, global repository for messages from a Jewish perspective should be created.
The JTA is politically neutral and no branch of Judaism particularly connected or committed.
The JTA has no profit motive. The seat is New York City. It is managed by a Board of not more than 75 persons. In this Board representative representatives from all forms of the Jewish religion and Zionism are to be represented.
Customer and Support Group
Among the best known newspapers that are supplied by the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, is one of the Forward in New York, in Germany include the Jewish General to the consumers and in Switzerland, the weekly magazine Tachles. In addition, the JTA is supported by many Member associations of the United Jewish Communities ( UJC ).