Jiaxing (嘉兴 市/嘉兴 市) is a prefecture-level city in northern Zhejiang province of China. Your administrative area has an area of 3915 km ² and about 3.5302 million inhabitants ( end of 2011). It is said Wu. Jiaxing is one of the most important silk industry cities of the People's Republic of China. Moreover, especially the textile industry has a strong presence in Jiaxing.
At county level, Jiaxing consists of two districts, two counties and three independent cities together. These are:
- City Nanhu District (南湖 区), 426 km ², 460,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Xiuzhou (秀洲 区), 542 km ², 340,000 inhabitants;
- Jiashan county (嘉善 县), 504 km ², 380,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community weitang (魏塘镇);
- Haiyan county (海盐县), 503 km ², 360,000 inhabitants, capital: large village Wuyuan (武 原 镇);
- Pinghu City (平湖 市), 536 km ², 480,000 inhabitants;
- Haining City (海宁 市), 681 km ², 640,000 inhabitants;
- Tongxiang City (桐乡 市), 723 km ², 660,000 inhabitants.
At the census in 2000 3.582.996 inhabitants were counted in Jiaxing. Of these, 99.57 % Han Chinese, 0.13 % Tujia, Miao 0.09%, 0.06 % Hui, Zhuang 0.04%, 0.03 % Yi, 0.02 % Bouyei, 0.01 % Dong, 0.01 % and 0.04 % Manju members of other peoples of China.
- Qian Baocong (1892-1974), historian of mathematics
- Zhang Leping (1910-1992), cartoonist
- Shiing - Shen Chern (1911-2004), mathematician