Jidvei (deprecated Jidveiu; German silk or Sögden, Hungarian Zsidve ) is a town in Alba county in Transylvania, Romania.

Geographical location

Jidvei lies to the east of Alba County, in the west of the Transylvanian basin in a left tributary on the lower reaches of the Târnava Mica ( Small Kokel ), on the railway line Blaj - Praid. The place is located on the county road (Drum Judetean ) DJ 107, approximately 20 kilometers northeast of Blaj ( Blasendorf ) and southwest of Târnăveni (Saint Martin) Mureş county; the county capital Alba Iulia is located approximately 55 kilometers southwest of Jidvei away.


Various archaeological finds show that the area of the village was settled a long time (starting from the Neolithic period ).

Jidvei is an association founded by the Saxons place. It was in 1309 on the occasion of a decade of dispute - which was led by ( Transylvanian ) - Saxon deaneries against the Weißenburger cathedral chapter - first mentioned in records. Administratively, the village was divided into two, while the eastern part was on Komitatsboden, the western part was inhabited by free Saxony. Occupy instruments of silk that in 1453 King Ladislaus V on the proposal of voivode J. Hunyadi the community blood jurisdiction conferred as a reward for the proven bravery in the battle of Kosovo against the Turks. In 1699 the Protestant parish register book created 76 tax-paying Saxon families are registered; 1786 were counted in 1084 German citizens.

The main occupation of the population were of arable land, viticulture and animal husbandry. Because of the large state-owned winery, the place is far beyond the country's borders as a wine-growing village known (see: Viticulture in Romania).


The population of the municipality is as follows:

The highest population ( 7,028 ) of the present-day municipality was established in 1966; the Romanians ( 4899 ) In 2002, the German in 1941, of Hungary, 1900, and Roma ( 1071 ) 2011. Moreover, in 1930 and 1977 depending on a Slovak, 2011, two Ukrainians registered.

From about 129 veterans of the village fell in the First World War, 20 men; in World War II approximately 194 men 50 Saxony on various fronts. 1945 236 women and men were deported for forced labor in the Soviet Union, died of it 26


  • The fortified church, originally built around 1500. The walls were demolished in the 19th century, the gate tower has been preserved. The former Gothic altar of the church was in 1795 replaced by a Baroque altar; 1797 a new hall was built. The church and the remains of the fortified church are under monument protection.
  • The Romanian Orthodox Church Sf. Nicolae, completed in 2002.
  • The Romanian Greek-Catholic Holy Trinity Church, built in 1996.