The JOANNEUM RESEARCH mbH is the largest research institute in Styria. In addition to the headquarters in Graz there are other locations in Weiz, Hartberg, Leoben, Niklas village and Vienna. The company is majority owned by the province of Styria ( 90%), since 2004 the Dutch TNO is involved with 10 percent.
In the 50s and early 60s of the 20th century, the province of Styria founded the Association for the Promotion of electron microscopy, the data center, the reactor Institute and the Institute for Low Temperature Physics four clubs to provide the universities of Graz with infrastructure, which are not from the university budget could be covered.
These four clubs were in 1968 under one umbrella organization, the Research Center Graz, summarized. In 1984, the Research Society Joanneum was founded as a limited company, the clubs were gradually dissolved. Since the year 1988, the company assumed its present name.
Outline of the company
Since July 2010, the research in four institutes and one center are divided. These units each comprising three to six research groups.
Institute for Surface Technologies and Photonics ( MATERIAL )
- Micro -and nanostructuring
- Light and Optical Technologies
- Laser Production Technology
- Sensor systems
- Functional Surfaces
Institute of Biomedicine and Health Sciences ( HEALTH )
Institute of Information and Communication Technologies ( DIGITAL)
- Remote Sensing and Geoinformation
- Image analysis and measuring systems
- Space technology and communication technology
- Intelligent Information Systems
- Intelligent Acoustic Solutions
Institute for Water, Energy and Sustainability ( RESOURCES )
- Water Resources and Environmental Analysis
- Geophysics and Geothermal Energy
- Energy and bio-resources
Centre for Economic and Innovation Research ( POLICIES )
- Technology, Innovation and Policy Consulting
- Statistical Applications
- Regional Policy, Risk and Resource Economics
Naming & motto
The name JOANNEUM RESEARCH derived from Archduke Johann (1782-1859), who was interested in a lifetime for the natural sciences. The motto of the company is "The Innovation Company".
- Company share of the Polymer Competence Center Leoben (17%)
- Company share of the Materials Center Leoben ( 17.5 %)