John Abromeit ( born February 17, 1857 in Paschleitschen ( parish Kraupischken, church circle Ragnit, East Prussia ); † January 19, 1946 in Jena ) was a German botanist. Its official botanical author abbreviation is " Abrom. ".
John Abromeit first attended grammar school in Gumbinnen and then moved to the " grammar school at the castle " in Königsberg. He studied at the University of Königsberg, and his doctorate in 1884 at Robert Caspary. Since 1888 he worked as an assistant at the Botanical Institute in Königsberg. He edited by Ernst Vanhoffen 1892 brought from West Greenland plants. Abromeit 1895 was elected a member of the Scholars Academy Leopoldina. In 1898 he published his book Flora of West and East Prussia. In 1912 he was appointed extraordinary professor of the university. His herbarium burned during the battle of Königsberg.
The German botanist Carl Christian Mez named in his honor the plant genus of the family of Abromeitia Myrsinengewächse ( Myrsinaceae ) and the genus Abromeitiella ( according to the latest classified in the genus Deuterocohnia ) from the family Bromeliaceae ( Bromeliaceae ).
- About the Anatomy of the oak. Inaugural Dissertation of Königsberg. Berlin 1884.
- Walther Neuhoff, Hans Steffen, A. Jentzsch and Gustav Vogel: Flora of West and East Prussia. Berlin from 1898 to 1940.
- Protection of botanical nature monuments in East Prussia. In 1907.
- Otto requests ( edited by Johannes Abromeit ): The plants in Germany: a guide to their knowledge; 2 Higher Plants. 9th edition. Leipzig 1909.
- Correction of Sanio'schen essay on the number relations of the flora of Prussia. In: Writings of the physico -economic society to Königsberg. 25, 1885, pp. 135-139.
- Report on the botanical study of the circle Ortelsburg. In: Writings of the physico -economic society to Königsberg. 28, 1888, pp. 49-57.
- Report on the botanical study of the waters of the circle of Pomerania by Professor Caspary, after his handwritten notes. In: Writings of the physico -economic society to Königsberg. 29, 1889, pp. 86-93.
- Systematic compilation of the more important discoveries of new sites. In: Writings of the physico -economic society to Königsberg. 31, 1891, pp. 18-33.
- Systematic list of collected in the summer of 1893 remarkable plants. In: Writings of the physico -economic society to Königsberg. 35, 1895, pp. 54-62.
- Report on the 38th annual meeting of the Prussian Botanical Association in Sensburg on October 7, 1899 In: . Writings of the physical- economic society to Königsberg. 41, 1900, pp. 1-70.
- Robert Zander, Fritz Encke, Günther Buchheim, Siegmund Seybold (eds.): Handbook of Plant Names. 13th edition. Ulmer, Stuttgart 1984, ISBN 3-8001-5042-5.
- Jan- Peter Frahm, Jens Eggers: Encyclopedia of German Bryologen. Volume 2, published by the author, Norderstedt 2001, ISBN 3-8311-0986-9, p 11