He studied in Weimar 1910-1914 at the Academy of Fine Arts, then to 1925 at the Bauhaus. From 1925 to 1932 he taught himself at the newly built Bauhaus Dessau, where he time between the plastic workshop, the advertising department and the printing initiated. 1935 to 1936, when they imposed a ban on teaching him, Schmidt taught at the led by Hugo Häring private school art and work (formerly Reimann School ). After the war, Schmidt accepted a professorship at the Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin.
In 1964, posthumous works by him at the documenta III in Kassel in the Department graphics were shown.