Philippovich occurred in 1836 in the military service and in 1848 Major in Warasdiner Border Regiment. He distinguished himself under Jelacic in the fighting in Hungary and in 1857 colonel and commander of the 5th Border Regiment. In 1859 he was promoted to major general and brigade commander.
He fought in the 1859 Association of the 6th Army Corps in Italy and was raised in 1860 in the hereditary baron. On campaign in Bohemia in 1866, he participated as adjutant of Count Thun, who was the Commanding General of the Second Army Corps at the time.
Philippovich came as a field marshal lieutenant and division commander to Vienna. Later he became Commanding country of Tyrol and Vorarlberg, where he resided in Innsbruck. In 1872 he was transferred to Brno and promoted in January 1874 to Feldzeugmeister. In June, he was appointed to the national commander of Bohemia.
In July 1878 Philippovich took over command of the particular to the invasion troops to Bosnia and subjugated these countries in the occupation campaign of Austrian rule. His forces captured on August 19, Sarajevo, which was then raised to the state capital.
Philippovich returned to Vienna in 1880 and 1882 as the national commander of Bohemia to Prague. In December, he became commander of the 8th Army Corps of kuk Army.
Philippovich died on August 6, 1889 in Prague.
In Sarajevo, the Philippovich warehouse with an area of around 30 Haktar one of the largest barracks of the Imperial was named after him, Monarchy. The predominantly three-storey building shells of the designed by the architect Karl Paržik and Ludwig Huber plant were completed in 1897. 1901, the barracks of their provision was passed. In Philippovich - camp of infantry, artillery and logistics were housed primarily troops, it was located at the west end of Sarajevo between Marijin Dvor and Pofalici.
Joseph had a younger brother, Franz Philippovich by Philip Berg ( 1820-1903 ). Again, this took the military career and brought it also to Feldzeugmeister.
In the Vienna Museum of Military History ( " Franz Joseph Hall " ) is located in Room V cabinet, in which objects are drawn from the personal property Philippovichs. In addition, pieces of loot from the occupation campaign of 1878 can be seen that part of Philppovich itself, and partly from other kuk Officers were brought home from this campaign. These include, inter alia, a Insurgentenfahne and Oriental weapons.