Kananga ( until 1966 Luluaburg, Luluabourg, before 1933 Luluagare ) is a city in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It has 463 556 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2005) and is the capital of the province of Kasai Occidental. and the district Lulua.
Kananga is located in the south of the country on the banks of the river Lulua.
The German explorer Hermann von Wissmann founded in 1885 on the banks of the river Lulua the station Luluaburg.
As of February 1926 Luluaburg was developed through the air. The runway was created over the future station Luluabourg. On November 30, 1927, the railway reached the Lulua. The BCK built a station at kilometer 701, at 600 meters above sea level. It was the birth of a small town, which quickly grew in importance. The settlement at the station was named Lulua Gare or Luluagare (French for: Lulua station) to them ( today Mikalayi ) to distinguish the mission station from the closest city Luluaburg. Lulua Gare extends over about ten kilometers on the slopes along the road. The fight against the erosion along the steep valleys required from the beginning a lot of work.
After the state post and the Cathedral are moved from the old Luluaburg (or Luluabourg - État ) to Luluagare that related by the locals name Mikalayi the name was officially Luluaburg for the former and transferred in 1933 to Luluagare.
During the Independence negotiations, a relocation of the capital of Leopoldville after more central Luluabourg was discussed. Since Luluabourg was in the breakaway province of South Kasai, could not be implemented this plan. In 1962, the province was retaken, after the city became the capital of the newly created province of West Kasai - Occidental was.
In 1966, the town within the limits set to the factory by the dictator Mobutu " Africanization " was renamed " Kananga ".
In the region diamonds and wheat are traded. There are rich natural resources in the region.
- Place in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Kasai - Occidental
- Place in Africa
- Million city