Karim Rashid, the son of Egyptian- English parents and grew up in Canada. He studied industrial design at Carleton University in Ottawa. After completing his bachelor's degree in 1982, he completed a postgraduate postgraduate studies with Ettore Sottsass and internships with Rodolfo Bonetto and KAN Design. It operates since 1993 in New York City and Rotterdam own design studio and has operations worldwide.
Rashid was 10 years an associate Professor of Industrial Design and is now a frequent guest lecturer at universities and conferences globally. In 2005 he received an honorary doctorate from the Corcoran College of Art and Design ( CCAD ) in Washington DC and in 2006 an honorary doctorate from the Ontario College of Art & Design ( OCAD ) in Toronto.
His international breakthrough came in 1996 with the Rashid plastic trash " Garbo Can". He has more than 3,000 designs and objects designed and implemented, and get more than 300 design awards. His work has been exhibited in major museums around the world, such as the Museum of Modern Art ( MoMA ) in New York, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Centre Georges Pompidou Paris. His style he calls " Blobismus " - the world as a bubble.
In 2001 he published the monograph " I Want to Change the World " - his offensive slogan and manifesto.
Rashid is married since 2008 with the Serbian chemist Ivana Puric. His brother Hani Rashid ( Asymptote Architecture ).
Prizes and Awards (selection)
- Virtu National Design Award 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998
- I. D. Annual Design Review 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007
- Good Design Award 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008
- IDEA 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006
- A.D. Dunton Alumni Award of Distinction from Carleton University, 2004
- House Beautiful Annual Giants of Design Award 2005
- Design Plus 2005; red dot award: communication design 2005
- Sleep .05 European Hotel Design Award, Best Interior Design Public Spaces, 2005
- Red dot design award: product design 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Pratt Legend Award, Pratt Institute, New York in 2006
- Boutique Design Award 2006 Best Flow
- Boutique Design Award Best Restaurant 2006
- Boutique Design Award Best Use of Space in 2006
- Boutique Design Award Best Use of Lighting 2006
- IF Industrie Forum Design 2007
- FAMAB ADAM Award 2007
- ADEX Award for Design Excellence in 2007, 2008, 2009
- Compasso d' Oro Award 2008
- Electronic House 2008 Product of the Year
- IDSA Industrial Design Excellence Award Silver 2008
- Cersaie Award 2008 Best Exhibition Stand
- Forbes Traveler 50 Best New Hotels in 2008
- Actualidad Económica award for Best Ideas of the Year 2009
- Popai Gold Medal for Technics and Innovation 2009
- Karim Rashid: I Want to Change the World, Universe Publishing 2001, ISBN 0789305313
- Karim Rashid: Evolution, Universe Publishing 2004, ISBN 0789311976
- Digipop, Bags ( Mul edition) 2005, ISBN 3822839957
- Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play, Collins Design 2006, ISBN 0060839023
- Karim Space: The Interior Design and Architecture of Karim Rashid, Rizzoli, 2009 ISBN 0847832317, with an introduction by Alessandro Mendini and foreword by Daniel Libeskind