The Kasernierte People's Police (CIP ) was the military precursor to the National People's Army of the GDR. Its history began on 1 July 1952 were formed initially as the willingness ( regiments ) of the Central Training of the Ministry of Interior of the GDR ( mDI ) in divisions of the land forces. The main bar was initially in Berlin- Adlershof ( Rudow Chaussee ) and from June 1954 in Strausberg. The CIP uniform resembled the average of the Army Uniform of the Soviet army base color was dark blue first and then khaki.
In October 1948, on the orders of the Soviet Military Administration ( SMAD) 40 Willingness of the people police were set up with 250 men and quartered. They were the " Department of Border Police and willingness " (HA GP / B) in the " German Administration of the Interior " ( DVDI ) was assumed. In July 1949, the border police from the HA GP / B was separated and renamed it into " management for training " ( VfS ) ( Inspector General Wilhelm Zaisser ). With the founding of the GDR on 7 October 1949, from the DVDI the Ministry of the Interior ( mDI ). As of April 1950, the VfS became the main administrative training ( HVA ) under the Inspector General Heinz Hoffmann, which included the willingness. According to the provisions adopted in April 1952 statement from Moscow to build a regular army Kasernierte the People's Police was formed on 1 July 1952 by order of the Minister of the Interior, Willi Stoph, from the HVA Willingness. In August 1952, the Territorial Administration of the CIP Pasewalk took over as executive body of the CIP services for the northern region of the Republic ( Eggesin, Prora, Prenzlau and Five Oaks ) on their work. In October 1952, the formation of further territorial administrations ( TV) in Dresden, Dessau and Leipzig took place. Due to the difficult economic situation in the GDR, the material and personnel reduction, now over 90,000 counted CIP organizations, it was decided to send the order saved expenses of the national economy in June 1953. Under the impact of subsequent unrest June 17, 1953 were primarily affected by the degradation of the provided nearly 25,000 jobs as "politically unreliable" prestigious CIP members.
With the integration took place in August 1953 VP Lake and the VP- air, the administrative structure of the CIP ( country ) has been changed again. So, the existing TV went to the North Territorial Administration (or TV 12 ), based in Pasewalk or in the Territorial Administration South (TV 24 ), located in Leipzig. In addition, the newly added air Associations henceforth acted under the name Aero Club.
As part of the decentralization of the command posts of the armed forces of the staff of the CIP in the spring of 1954, was moved from the capital Berlin in the 35 km east location Strausberg. The already established in Parow management VP -See also experienced a recent change in their location and acted henceforth from Rostock. The transfer of the management of the Aero Club ( VdAK ) was carried out in August 1953, integrating the VP- air in the CIP.
Conversion to the NVA
On January 18, 1956, the People's Chamber adopted the Law "On the creation of the National People's Army and the Ministry of National Defense ." Then, the staff of the CIP in Strausberg to the Ministry of National Defense of the GDR ( MfNV ) was converted, which the Military District I embodied within the National People's Army. From the territorial administrations North and South, the military districts V or III of the land forces were, the administrations of the Aero Club or the VP- lake were adjusted in their construction component of the military forces of the future army. The thus formed Air Force / Air Defense or naval forces formed the Military Districts II and IV
Changed in the military clout with the conversion to NVA but nothing, only the structure and uniform. This was changed from an oriented at the Soviet model model to a traditional interface, which did not look unlike the uniform of the Wehrmacht. The reason for this lies mainly in the mood of the former GDR population, among other things, their own soldiers in the CIP Uniform as " Russians servants " designated or they mistook for Soviet soldiers.
On March 1, 1956, this action was largely completed, whereupon the MfNV the GDR and the administrations of the military districts officially began their work. By decision of the Presidium of the Council of Ministers of the GDR, the anniversary was declared the future "Day of the National People's Army."
- Chief of the CIP: Heinz Hoffmann (1952-1955), Willi Stoph (1955-1956)
- 1st Deputy: Heinrich Doll Wetzel ( 1955-1956 )
- Chief of Staff: Bechler Bernhard (1952-1952), Vincenz Müller (1952-1956)
- Political Administration: Rudolf Dolling (1952-1955), Friedrich Dickel (1955-1956)
- Education: Fritz Johne (1953-1954), Henry Doll Wetzel (1954-1955), Helmut Borufka (1955-1956)
- Behind the Lines Services: Heinrich Heitsch (1952-1953), Walter Olsztyn (1953-1956)
- Construction and housing: Wilhelm Mayer (1953-1955), Rudolf Menzel (1955-1956)
- Squad: Fritz Kohn (1952-1952), Ewald Munschke (1952-1956)
- CIP University of officers: Walter Freytag (1952-1953), William Adam (1953-1956)
The documents of the CIP (87 linear meters ) are located in the Bundesarchiv- military archive in Freiburg im Breisgau.