Katanning, Western Australia

Katanning is a town in the Great Southern region of Western Australia, located on the Great Southern Highway 277 km south-east of Perth.


Although the importance of Katanning is unclear, it is believed that there is a local Aboriginal word, the meeting point of the tips of the tribes ( Kart Annin ), or bright pool of sweet water ( Kartanup ) means. Another version says that the city after the name of a woman of the local Aboriginal people is named.


The Governor James Stirling and Surveyor General John Septimus Roe were the first Europeans who explored the region of today's Katanning. In 1835 they crossed the region on the journey from Perth to Albany.

Around 1870, some Sandelholzfäller came to the region, but without settling. 1889 was the city with the development of the Great Southern Railway which operates the route from Perth to Albany.

The location of the city was initially of the Western Australian Land Company entwickelt.1896 acquired the Australian Government, the railway line and the space that includes the city. 1898 Katanning was given officially known.

1891 was not widely grown from the city center, a Flour Mill by brothers Frederick and Charles Piesse. For its part, the local farmers planted to wheat. This Katanning has developed economically. Today, the mill serves as a museum.

At 8:00 am on October 10, 2007, an earthquake in the region occurred. It had a magnitude of MSUB > W = 8.7 on the Richter scale, and was the largest earthquake in the region for 40 years.

Today Katanning is a regional service center for the Great Southern region.


Different religions are practiced in the city. In Katanning Christians, Anglicans, Baptists, Lutherans, Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses live and Muslims. Among Muslims, it refers mainly to immigrants who arrived in the 1970s from the Cocos Islands in the city.


  • In the town there is a castle-like structure, which was built as a winery.
  • In Austral Terrace, next to the railway line, a statue of Frederick Henry Piesse is located. It was built by Pietro Porcelli. In 1916 it was set.