The monastery was a Kaufungen 1017 by Empress Cunegonde founded Benedictine monastery in Kaufungen in northern Hesse Kassel district.
Founding and early years
In May 1017 Cunegond held at the royal court Kaufungen, which had been given her already in 1008 by her husband, Emperor Henry II, as Witwengut. There she is - after Thietmar of Merseburg - have praised during a severe illness, to establish a monastery. They got well and left soon after to begin construction of the monastery. After her husband's death in 1024, the later canonized Cunegonde withdrew as a simple nun in the young Benedictine convent, where she died on March 3, 1033.
On July 13, 1025 started in 1018 the monastery church was consecrated.
Reeves of the abbey were Kaufungen, starting in 1024 with Werner I., the Gaugrafen of maggots or Gudensberg.
Conversion to the pin
Until 1089 Kaufungen remained a kingdom monastery, but was then assumed by Emperor Henry IV to the bishop of Speyer. From this dependence it was able to free himself again in the 12th century. It turned first into a Kanonissenstift without religious vows and finally. Freely in a secular monastery for the supply of noble ladies
In the 16th century the monastery was supplied at the request of Landgrave Wilhelm II of Bursfeld Congregation. In February 1509, the abbots Franz von Ketteler of Corvey and Dietrich II of Bredelar led, composed of deans Heinrich Martin Ruland from Kassel's pin and the abbots Heinrich ohms of Bursfelde and Johann Meyer of Breitenau by the first visitation. The Abbess Elizabeth of Plesse and canonesses were replaced by a new convent of the Benedictine monastery Gehrden that belonged since 1474 Bursfeld Congregation. However, since the Archbishop of Mainz, Uriel von Gemmingen refused to recognize the appointment of the new Abbess Anna von der Borch, he ordered a new visitation. This was carried out by the abbots of Corvey, and width- Bursfelde in November 1509 and by Henry Ruland and two clerics from Fritzlarer Peter pin. The monastery was then a member of the Bursfeld observance, but not for long.
After the introduction of the Reformation in the country county of Hesse in 1527, the monastery was abolished and the Reform Convention returned to Gehrden. The possession of the monastery was handed over to the care of female member of this aristocratic corporation in 1532 by Landgrave Philip the Magnanimous, together with the weather of the pen, the Hessian knighthood. When Knighthood Royal pin Kaufungen it exists today.
The Collegiate Church Kaufungen is considered the most important late Ottonian building in northern Hesse. The choir of the original Romanesque basilica, which was completed and consecrated in 1025, had to be curled to the severe damage around 1175. In the second quarter of the 13th century, the rebuilding began to a Gothic hall church, and in 1422 most of the windows and doors were renewed and increased the aisle walls in Gothic style. Also in the 15th century, the Gothic wall paintings were created. After another fire in 1564 the church was enlarged, and this painted wooden ceilings were recovered. The imperial gallery in the West work in 1938 uncovered again.