Kalhor began his musical education at the age of seven and entered from the thirteenth year of life with the Iranian National Orchestra of Radio and Television and then worked with the ensemble at Shayda Chavosh cultural center. In classical Persian music ( radif ) is designed to travel in particular he studied the traditional music in the provinces of Khorasan and Kordestān.
He was one of the founders of the ensembles Dastan, Ghazal: Persian & Indian Improvisations and Masters of Persian Music, composed for singers like Mohammad -Reza Schadscharian and Shahram Nazeri and has performed with renowned Iranian instrumentalists. International, he joined inter alia on with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and the Orchestre National de Lyon and is a member of Yo- Yo Ma Silk Road Ensemble. He founded in 1990 in New York with the Dastan Ensemble Shahram Nazeri, since 1996, he leads the group Ghazal.
In 2004 he came at the invitation of the composer John Adams as part of its Carnegie Hall's Perspectives on at Zankel Hall; In the same year he participated in the Mostly Mozart Festival at Lincoln Center. In Francis Ford Coppola's film Youth without Youth, he was a soloist of composed by Osvaldo Golijov film music.
- Scattering Stars Like Dust, 1997
- Ghazal: As Night Falls on the Silk Road, 1998
- Mohammad Reza Shajarian: Night Silence Desert, 2000
- Ghazal Moon Rise Over the Silk Road, 2000
- Silk Road Ensemble: When Strangers Meet, 2002
- Ghazal: The Rain, 2003
- In the Mirror of the Sky, 2004
- Silk Road Ensemble: Beyond the Horizon, 2004
- Silk Road Ensemble: New Impossibilities, 2007
- Yo- Yo Ma & Friends: Songs of Joy & Peace, 2008
- Silent City, 2008
- Silk Road Ensemble: Off the Map, 2009
- I Will Not Stand Alone, 2012
- Silk Road Project - Kayhan Kalhor
- World Village Music - Kayhan Kalhor
- Discography at Allmusic
- Ghazal at Allmusic
- Kayhan Kalhor homepage
- Iranian musicians
- Born in 1963