Kenneth Noland ( born April 10, 1924 in Asheville, North Carolina; † January 5, 2010 in Port Clyde, Knox County, Maine) was an American artist and one of the most important exponents of Color Field painting.
After serving in the U.S. Air Force from 1942 to 1945 him the Servicemen 's Readjustment Act allowed (G. I. Bill) to study art at Black Mountain College from 1946 to 1948, where he was a student of Ilya Bolotowsky ( 1907-1981 ) and Josef Albers.
Thereafter, he went to Paris and studied with Ossip Zadkine. There he had his first exhibition at the gallery Creuze in 1949. In the same year he moved to Washington, D.C. over, painted and taught at the local Catholic University of America and the " Institute of Contemporary Art ". In 1952 he met Morris Louis and visited with him in the following year the studio of Helen Frankenthaler in New York, where he moved in 1961. In 1964 he taught at Bennington College in Vermont. In the same year he presented his work in the American Pavilion at the Venice Biennale. In 1968 he participated in the documenta 4 in Kassel.
His daughter is born in 1956, object and installation artist Cady Noland.
His artistic style found Noland and his friend Morris Louis in one of Helen Frankenthaler ( a student of Jackson Pollock ) developed technique, which is known as " soak stain". It is painted with acrylic paint on unprimed canvas. The painting surface absorbs the ink and there is a deep color effect, which refers to the volume from the surface of the image, see shaped canvas.
Noland preferred basic geometric patterns, for example in the form of concentric colored rings that resemble a target used in archery. He has designed among other things, the tiled exterior of the Wiesner Building at MIT.
The artistic effort to " volume color" has Graubner later continued by having on large-format pad ( which he developed absorbent, multi-layered painting surface ) swatches in " spaces" transferred.
- Turn Sole ( 1961) was exhibited in the exhibition MoMA in Berlin
- Chevron (A 18-3 ), 1963 and SCALE, 1966, both at the Museum Folkwang, Essen
- Near End 1967, acrylic on canvas, 240 × 60 cm